• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Australian wanting to contract in UK/Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian wanting to contract in UK/Europe

I am contemplating contracting in UK/Europe. I think that I can gain a UK work permit as my wife's grand parents were born in England. However, I will need to double check this. My background is SAP Basis, and looking at the job ads, there seems to be a number of new contracts created each day.

What I am after is background information about contracting in UK/Europe from non UK/European people who have done it in the past. I have read the introductory information from various UK websites, but would now like to find out what experiences/obstacles other people have encountered.

I have browsed the other postings, but they don't seem to cover this. there are companies who say they perform everything to get me set up over there, but I don't know how well they will do it.

Any piece of information is valuable to me.

Thank you in advance.

You'll get a work permit. They hand them out like candy.

Places like www.1stcontact.co.uk will do everything from setting up a bank account to running your money through a Ltd company to get you the ost wonga at month end. They charge about 5%. There are other companies out there that do this as well, best to read some reviews before you commit to one though.

Comment

Anybody that pays 5% of their income in accountancy fees needs to look around.

Alan

Comment

<fleetwood>

What is it that makes your wife's parents grander than normal people's parents?

(Hint, the parents of ones parents, are "grandparents")

</fleetwood>

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams
          Anybody that pays 5% of their income in accountancy fees needs to look around.

Alan
          Damn straight. Thats why I went with the accounts down in town...that and they wanted to assign me to the company "Frigg Educational Services". I mean wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by midstein
            I am contemplating contracting in UK/Europe. I think that I can gain a UK work permit as my wife's grand parents were born in England. However, I will need to double check this. My background is SAP Basis, and looking at the job ads, there seems to be a number of new contracts created each day.

What I am after is background information about contracting in UK/Europe from non UK/European people who have done it in the past. I have read the introductory information from various UK websites, but would now like to find out what experiences/obstacles other people have encountered.

I have browsed the other postings, but they don't seem to cover this. there are companies who say they perform everything to get me set up over there, but I don't know how well they will do it.

Any piece of information is valuable to me.

Thank you in advance.
            Your wife's grandparents don't necessarily entitle you to a visa/permit. They do get your wife entry, and if she gets residence then you can apply as the spouse of a UK resident. Or you can apply under the higher skills visa. Or you can claim asylum, which will get you a house, car, and benefits as well.

Otherwise, when you're here just act like a local - get a good accountant, set up a limited company, get to know the agencies and job sites to visit. All with the added benefit of being able to skip home in a couple of years with your tax dosh

Comment

We dont need you lot anyway, we've got plenty of Romanians arriving in their caravans every day. And we can beat them at rugby and cricket.

Comment

convict

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                  You'll get a work permit. They hand them out like candy.

Places like www.1stcontact.co.uk will do everything from setting up a bank account to running your money through a Ltd company to get you the ost wonga at month end. They charge about 5%. There are other companies out there that do this as well, best to read some reviews before you commit to one though.
                  Thanks 1stcontact looks good - even an office in Australia which helps

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                    <fleetwood>

What is it that makes your wife's parents grander than normal people's parents?

(Hint, the parents of ones parents, are "grandparents")

</fleetwood>

tim
                    ok, I added an extra space - I could have saved myself an extra key stroke

Comment

Working...
                    X