• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job searching - register CV or chase jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gonzo
    When I started I posted the cv on several of the sites. I never got any genuine approaches.

However, I usually found that when I did get an interview for something I would mysteriously receive several phone calls, from people claiming to be all over the place, saying that they had a role which they thought I was suitable for (although from their brief description I wasn't) quoting a very high rate and would I be interested? This would be followed by many questions about whether I had anything else in the pipeline, which company it was, who was the interviewing manager etc etc etc. They would say something along the lines of "for compliance reasons I need to make sure that I am not duplicating a role" or something like that.

The CV is not on any sites any more. I will chase any that I think look suitable, but I don't expect any to come after me.
    If you didn't get any approaches there must have been something wrong with your profile (rate too high, not listed as available, poor skillset etc).
    If you don't mark yourself as available, you won't show up on most searches.
    And if any agent rings you up asking where your CV has been sent, where you have had interviews etc, just tell them it's confidential. They will be sharks anyway, so you won't be losing out. If they say "it's to avoid duplicating an application" then the answer is "there won't be any duplication because you won't be sending my CV anywhere without asking me first, and you'll need to tell me who the client is or I'll tell you to feck orf". (I've never yet heard a decent comeback for that one. ) It's just about the oldest pimp-trick in the book, and it still amazes me how many idiot contractors fall for it.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
      If you didn't get any approaches there must have been something wrong with your profile (rate too high, not listed as available, poor skillset etc).
      If you don't mark yourself as available, you won't show up on most searches.
      And if any agent rings you up asking where your CV has been sent, where you have had interviews etc, just tell them it's confidential. They will be sharks anyway, so you won't be losing out. If they say "it's to avoid duplicating an application" then the answer is "there won't be any duplication because you won't be sending my CV anywhere without asking me first, and you'll need to tell me who the client is or I'll tell you to feck orf". (I've never yet heard a decent comeback for that one. ) It's just about the oldest pimp-trick in the book, and it still amazes me how many idiot contractors fall for it.
      Yep, I was very green then and thought it best to be helpful when talking to agents as I thought my prospects were in their hands!

I had done all the investigations and preparations for contracting - ensuring that I had the right skills, qualifications and experience, knew exactly what I was doing regarding setting up the Ltd, IR35 advice etc etc etc. What I hadn't done was preparing for dealing with Agents.

I am a lot better at it now.

Comment

Working...
      X