• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job searching - register CV or chase jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job searching - register CV or chase jobs?

Hi, first time contractor here.

As a permie I used to just register my CV with an agent and wait for the calls. Is this an okay thing to do when contracting or would I be better off chasing after the jobs and just contact the agents when I see something I like?

the chances of one agent having a job that matches you, and him actually looking at your CV when he gets one in are pretty low.

If you want a job:
    1. Go to jobserve, search for jobs you can do.
    2. Apply and send your "Company Resume" to every bugger out there.
    3. Sit back and wait for the phone to ring

Comment

Originally posted by DeadKenny
      Hi, first time contractor here.

As a permie I used to just register my CV with an agent and wait for the calls. Is this an okay thing to do when contracting or would I be better off chasing after the jobs and just contact the agents when I see something I like?
      When I started I posted the cv on several of the sites. I never got any genuine approaches.

However, I usually found that when I did get an interview for something I would mysteriously receive several phone calls, from people claiming to be all over the place, saying that they had a role which they thought I was suitable for (although from their brief description I wasn't) quoting a very high rate and would I be interested? This would be followed by many questions about whether I had anything else in the pipeline, which company it was, who was the interviewing manager etc etc etc. They would say something along the lines of "for compliance reasons I need to make sure that I am not duplicating a role" or something like that.

The CV is not on any sites any more. I will chase any that I think look suitable, but I don't expect any to come after me.

Comment

Thanks. Kind of what I thought.

My experience of agents as a permie was similar. Had to filter the crap from the relevant stuff, and the agents were just interested in what's best for them obviously.

If I just went onto Jobserve and started applying for jobs, is that all that's required or being I'm a first time contractor do I need to do any other ground work with the agent?

Ardesco - A "Company Resume"... different from a personal CV I assume and in what way? Obviously my existing CV as a first time contractor is purely a personal CV and it's just got permie jobs on it.

Comment

If you are running your own LTD company you don't want to send out your CV as it is not you looking for work. You sent out a company resume which details the skills of the people in your company so that your company can provide a service to another company for a fee.

If you send in a CV and get a role as an employee you are likely to be caught by IR35.

Comment

Thanks. Any links to guides to writing a company one, or samples? I'm very used to doing personal CVs but never written it from a company point of view.

Also, this would suggest I need to get the company set up before I send the CV out?

Comment

You will need to have your own LTD Co, or you will need to use an umbrella company (or equivalent, but they are generally not recommended).

If you are going the umbrella route, don't worry about a company resume as you are an employee anyway. Company resume in its most basic form is remove all the personal stuff like "I like badminton and work hard in every job i do".

I belive Parasol and Contractor Umbrella are the ones offered up as reasonable if you don't intend to go the LTD Co route.

Comment

I'm intending to go with the Ltd company and attempt to run the business outside of IR35. Regardless of IR35 anyway I like the idea of not working for an employer and being bound by their rules, but working for myself and providing a service to clients. I'm doing it more to remove the shackles (and politics) of employment than just for a better income.

I've approached SJD who have given me various details (I've already read their guide along with many others and poured over all kinds of information on the web). Next step they say is to form the company which sounds easy enough, but should I do that before applying for the first job (i.e. so I have the company identity to put on the resume, letters and emails)?

Given SJD charge £125 for formation including setting up bank accounts, registering for VAT etc, is that wise if say it took me a while to get a job or perhaps were offered an outstanding permanent job instead (though I'm really not keen to continue in permanent so it's not something I'm planning on)?

Comment

If you are serious about contracting set up the company now. When you get a contract the agent will want your Company details including company number, company bank account details, and your VAT number (If you are VAT rgistered).

If you don't have anything set up they will not be able to pay you and you don't want to be in a situation where you cant get your money. Getting a company bank account seems to be easy for some and problematic for others, you will need to get your company registered before you get a compnay bank account so I would suggest registering now and getting yourself a company bank account sorted ASAP.

Comment

Thanks, that's great advice

Comment

Working...
                    X