• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel question

Quick question on travel - I've got an interview for a gig next week that requires a lot of travel to the States.
    I'm new to contracting, so was just wondering what the "norm" is for travelling long distances - is it "the norm" to travel in my own time or to book any time spent travelling on my normal day rate?

I know these are questions that I need to ask the company (and I will), but was just wondering what was standard?

In my permie days, I experienced a mixture of travelling in my own time unpaid and travelling on a Monday/Friday to be in the office 3 days Tue-Thu.

Originally posted by kh64 View Post
    Quick question on travel - I've got an interview for a gig next week that requires a lot of travel to the States.
    I'm new to contracting, so was just wondering what the "norm" is for travelling long distances - is it "the norm" to travel in my own time or to book any time spent travelling on my normal day rate?

I know these are questions that I need to ask the company (and I will), but was just wondering what was standard?

In my permie days, I experienced a mixture of travelling in my own time unpaid and travelling on a Monday/Friday to be in the office 3 days Tue-Thu.
    You won't be able to work in the US

Comment

An interview is not a contract, so who are you going to charge your day rate at? Best you can expect, if agreed up front, if your potential client is generous and if you're quite lucky, is your fares and possibly accommodation cost.

I'm assuming it's you going for the interview, not you being sent by an existing client. If so it's a cost of sales and is most likely at your cost.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        You won't be able to work in the US
        Why would that be? What's different in contractor world to the 30 or so times I've travelled to the US to work previously?

Comment

Travel question

Why would that be? What's different in contractor world to the 30 or so times I've travelled to the US to work previously?
          Who's going to sponsor your H1B?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            An interview is not a contract, so who are you going to charge your day rate at? Best you can expect, if agreed up front, if your potential client is generous and if you're quite lucky, is your fares and possibly accommodation cost.

I'm assuming it's you going for the interview, not you being sent by an existing client. If so it's a cost of sales and is most likely at your cost.
            To clarify, I'm not talking about the interview itself.
            If I'm successful, the role requires regular travel to the States.

Comment

To answer your actual question, in the psst I have agreed that any time that I cannot spend as I want, the client should pay for, therefore travel time should be included. We finally agreed that time from arrival at the departure airport on the way out is a good start point, and I would bill on the way back until I arrived at my home airport. worked out ok, especially as the flight home was always delayed by several hours. Nothing better than sitting in a lounge, drinking champers and being paid.
              World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Who's going to sponsor your H1B?
                To clarify, the interview, base and company are all UK based. The role requires regular travel to the US. Fly in, fly out on a regular basis.

Comment

To clarify, the interview, base and company are all UK based. The role requires regular travel to the US. Fly in, fly out on a regular basis.
                  To do what in USA?

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                    To answer your actual question, in the psst I have agreed that any time that I cannot spend as I want, the client should pay for, therefore travel time should be included. We finally agreed that time from arrival at the departure airport on the way out is a good start point, and I would bill on the way back until I arrived at my home airport. worked out ok, especially as the flight home was always delayed by several hours. Nothing better than sitting in a lounge, drinking champers and being paid.
                    Cheers. This is as I expected.
                    In permie world, sometimes I did travel in my own time but was lucky enough to be told to take the time in lieu. Most of the time it was fly in on Monday, Tue-Thu in office, fly out Fri, weekend all mine.

Comment

Working...
                    X