• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

North West Contractor Scene

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope.

On another thread there are people complaining of no work. Their location areas e.g. south east overlap with mine. There as I'm telling agents who are digging my CV out and phoning me I am in a contract.
    Well true, as agent said, "the cream always go to the top" ...

Comment

£350 to £400 seems to be the average, with some sub-300 roles going.

I spoke to a recruiter today about two roles in the North West, and I'm waiting on hearing if I've won a contract far enough east to qualify as not being in the North West anymore, so I'll be staying over if I get that.

That said I've had my CV in at multiple roles around Manchester since mid-January and not had a bite.

I think it must be a symptom of having a lot of talented IT professionals abandoning the sinking ship which is the public sector. One of the recruiters I've spoken to says it's a complete nightmare for them.

Comment

Originally posted by MrStu View Post
        £350 to £400 seems to be the average, with some sub-300 roles going.
        I think it must be a symptom of having a lot of talented IT professionals abandoning the sinking ship which is the public sector. One of the recruiters I've spoken to says it's a complete nightmare for them.
        I wonder who they are getting in, if they are getting in

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
          I wonder who they are getting in, if they are getting in

I have yet to see a single public sector role in NW in dev. They seem to only appear in London. Either way , the agents I spoke to haven't seen so many *decent* contractors applying at the same time. Like ever.
          Me myself was looking for a full month before I landed another gig, whereas my friend, 3 months. Jobs are still there just way more competition
          Last edited by diseasex; 7 February 2017, 16:35.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
            Yeah this is true - although I was on 400 a day outside of banking. On more now in banking but they are tightening their belts and rates are harder to negotiate I think.

Up here I don't know - £300 to £350 seems to be the mark for dev work.

There are a few sub £300 role though.
            It's crazy the rates up there are so bad. I was on £ 450 twelve years ago in Yorkshire and even now that's difficult to achieve (.NET development). I blame the agencies for either pocketing the difference or just not pushing hard enough. But then again, rates in London haven't increased that much either. What I'd give to go back 12 years. I still had a thick head of hair and boyish charms back then. Still a hit with the ladies. Ah well, it all had to end sometime :-(

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
              It's crazy the rates up there are so bad. I was on £ 450 twelve years ago in Yorkshire and even now that's difficult to achieve (.NET development). I blame the agencies for either pocketing the difference or just not pushing hard enough. But then again, rates in London haven't increased that much either. What I'd give to go back 12 years. I still had a thick head of hair and boyish charms back then. Still a hit with the ladies. Ah well, it all had to end sometime :-(
              Dublin is booming now. I had few agents asking me to relocate as they are hiring 25 contractors, something i have not seen in the UK.
              Had interview request for City bank in dublin @450 euro but that was day after i had local gig

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                Dublin is booming now. I had few agents asking me to relocate as they are hiring 25 contractors, something i have not seen in the UK.
                Had interview request for City bank in dublin @450 euro but that was day after i had local gig
                Small money out there, once you have factored costs in, 700 euro PD at the very least you should be looking at.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Small money out there, once you have factored costs in, 700 euro PD at the very least you should be looking at.
                  True, I'd mention Sydney or melbourne gigs @ 700-800AUD pd.
                  Hard to say wheres the best money, London seems out of reach now.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                    precisely what I mean. €450 != £ 450. more like £ 385 at today's exchange rate and having to live away as well. That's more like £ 300 after the travel and expenses. May as well be permie.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                      precisely what I mean. €450 != £ 450. more like £ 385 at today's exchange rate and having to live away as well. That's more like £ 300 after the travel and expenses. May as well be permie.
                      ++ getting anywhere from Dublin airport is supposed to be a nightmare.

Hence min 700 euro PD.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X