• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Grad salaries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim123
    I'm asking, because I'm interesed in knowing how much a uni industrial placement student would cost to take on.

When I did this I got about 80% of a new grad salary, but with a placement you have the added cost of 'training' them in the appropriate language (they all seem to learn Java now, which is not what my client wants) knowing that they are going to leave after a year.

OTOH you do know that you are going to get the full year, which you don't with a 'normal' employee.

tim
    You probably can get away with paying £15k or so, and you even give some keen student a chance to get some real valuable experience.
    Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

21k average salary - which is interesting, as I started on 15k in the West Country in 1995, which bear in mind was just at the tail end of the early 90s IT recession, compared to now where we are in something of a boom.

That translates to an annual growth of ~3%, but inflation over that period has been far greater. So in real terms, IT graduates are much cheaper.

I bought my first house shortly after starting for ~50k (3 bed semi). I wonder what you could get for 75k in Wiltshire these days?

Comment

Use the polish - they're cheap...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

and make things shiny

Comment

Working...
          X