• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on leaving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    Well, it sort of is, so they know whether to expect you back by lunch or in 3 weeks (even if you're lying)
    I meant it's not their business why you keep going to the doctor.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
      I've never worked anywhere as a contractor that doesn't at least have a concept of core office hours of,say 9-4, with flexibility either side.

I aways ask at interview stage & if it's not on offer then I'm out. Quite simple really.
      Especially if you are working as part of a team on a project for example. May be an IR35 leaner but is a key factor in the success of a project I would suggest, contractor or permie.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Especially if you are working as part of a team on a project for example. May be an IR35 leaner but is a key factor in the success of a project I would suggest, contractor or permie.
        My point is, if there's no flexibility around a core hours of 10-4 then I'll turn it down.

Such clients do exist. Some (and, yes, it is the 21 Century) will insist on 9-6 with a full hour taken.

I don't accept the "you need to be here at the safe time as everyone else because you're part of a team" argument for dev work. 10-4 is more than adequate

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          Give your notice. If she makes life hell then tell the client you're unavailable.

Life's too short
          WHS. Is she fit though?
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Sounds a bit of a nightmare and it might be out of order but.... as a contractor you have to be prepared for every eventuality. This one maybe extreme but difficult clients aren't uncommon. It can be anything from poor individuals, clients attitude to contractors or individual situation of the work you are doing. It's highly likely you are going to bear the brunt being 'an over paid contractor' and be treated badly just because you are a supplier. Experience will tell you what is and what isn't acceptable and your own personal circumstances will dictate how much you are willing to put up with.

Remember though it is only 10 weeks, it's good money and in the future you'll look back with some pride that you saw it through and that it's a very short period in a long and lucrative career.

It's really up to you and to be fair it does sound like a bit of a nightmare but I'd throw in the option to just man up and see it through. It might be painful for a bit but as I say it's good money and a short term problem. If you've made your decision then fair enough....

How about looking at some of the factors and trying to mitigate them. Is working from home key to the contract or is it flexibility for you? If you are working why is it a problem the client ringing to check? I've seen a number of contractors canned because they've been WFH, Lync is yellow for long periods and can't get hold of them by phone. This paranoia isn't always unfounded. Why not just go in to the office and sack the WFH if it's more hassle than it's worth?

Medical leave midday? Why on earth are you doing this? Permies do this. You either do it outside of work time or only bill for half a day stating you are unavailable and have your appointments in your own time? I'd be hacked off if my builder went for a doctors appointment when he's on my paid time as well.

I'm sure there is more. Can you not focus on each situation and try mitigate to a point you can stay?
            Got be fair NLUK has got some good points here.

If I WFH I make absolutely sure I answer the phone etc. or at least call back straight away. Even if its genuiine people start to suspect your skiving. Better to be over cautious.

Medical appts - hmmm. Middle of the day no. Start end of the day and leave/arrive early. I expect client to be ok with this especailly if they expect flexibility from me.

As NLUK says there are some bad clients out there.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all your sage advice and sharing your wisdom.

It's made me feel a lot better as others have had similar challenges.

Thanks you - this is a great community.

The medical appointments thing has been frustrating because no flexibility on 9-5. I'm happy to start at 8 and go to appointment at 4.30pm but no move on this. Hey-ho! I'm going to try and front it out.

The whole org has a really negative view contractors. We get removed from meetings and you are constantly asked if you are one. I think this puts pressure on the hiring managers to make an example of us.

Thanks again, guys

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                Give your notice. If she makes life hell then tell the client you're unavailable.

Life's too short
                Get it right, VC. Tell her you're taking two weeks' holiday. Then give notice.

Comment

Easier said than done, but you kind of have to make the most of it. If you're on a healthy day rate - treat yourself a little more, enjoy your weekends, or set a target to save for something.

There must be some silver linings somewhere - what are your colleagues like? How's the food?

It is hard, though - I did a 16 week stint working for an absolutely awful PM. I was a one person team and, in the end, I had to shout at him and we sat and white boarded every single task I was trying to manage. I then told him to prioritise and we STILL ended up having a conversation about how I can physically only do one at a time. How these people get where they are is a mystery to me, but like you, it was a healthy day rate and I did at least make some friends there.

There's a fine line before you become a cock, but you can also work to rule a little bit too - I took a solid hour lunch every single day I was on that contract. I'd always leave the office and, ideally, the building. That helped me keep my sanity because I could collect my thoughts for the afternoon.

The really good news is that eventually the Programme Manager saw what was going on and I ended up working for a proper PM instead and dragged another few months out of what was now a very comfy contract!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Sounds a bit of a nightmare and it might be out of order but.... as a contractor you have to be prepared for every eventuality. This one maybe extreme but difficult clients aren't uncommon. It can be anything from poor individuals, clients attitude to contractors or individual situation of the work you are doing. It's highly likely you are going to bear the brunt being 'an over paid contractor' and be treated badly just because you are a supplier. Experience will tell you what is and what isn't acceptable and your own personal circumstances will dictate how much you are willing to put up with.

Remember though it is only 10 weeks, it's good money and in the future you'll look back with some pride that you saw it through and that it's a very short period in a long and lucrative career.

It's really up to you and to be fair it does sound like a bit of a nightmare but I'd throw in the option to just man up and see it through. It might be painful for a bit but as I say it's good money and a short term problem. If you've made your decision then fair enough....

How about looking at some of the factors and trying to mitigate them. Is working from home key to the contract or is it flexibility for you? If you are working why is it a problem the client ringing to check? I've seen a number of contractors canned because they've been WFH, Lync is yellow for long periods and can't get hold of them by phone. This paranoia isn't always unfounded. Why not just go in to the office and sack the WFH if it's more hassle than it's worth?

Medical leave midday? Why on earth are you doing this? Permies do this. You either do it outside of work time or only bill for half a day stating you are unavailable and have your appointments in your own time? I'd be hacked off if my builder went for a doctors appointment when he's on my paid time as well.

I'm sure there is more. Can you not focus on each situation and try mitigate to a point you can stay?
                    OMG NorthernladUK, you sound like a benign Uncle.....are you well?

Actually, OP you have (above) the best advice a timorous newbie could get. Easy for us to joke but not so easy being sole contractor early in your career....strong risk of going native too quickly.... you are a contractor/business...a few weeks is a very short time and it is worth tolerating it when you have little else to recommend you to recruiters and hirers for future gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by commycont View Post
                      Thanks for all your sage advice and sharing your wisdom.

It's made me feel a lot better as others have had similar challenges.

Thanks you - this is a great community.

The medical appointments thing has been frustrating because no flexibility on 9-5. I'm happy to start at 8 and go to appointment at 4.30pm but no move on this. Hey-ho! I'm going to try and front it out.

The whole org has a really negative view contractors. We get removed from meetings and you are constantly asked if you are one. I think this puts pressure on the hiring managers to make an example of us.

Thanks again, guys
                      Next contract ask them about their working times in the interview. (In fact ask them some of those tulipty questions you see in what to ask in interview sections.)

If they don't have core hours, or refuse to have a bit of give and take them don't take the role.

I turned down a role last winter due to the fact they insisted on 9-6. I was not going to sit in traffic for an extra 90 minutes a day when two previous clients I had in the same area went out of their way to ensure I did not have to. In fact one of those clients told me to go home when the weather was really bad to ensure I didn't get stranded.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X