• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Norway- is it worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    For example, I just saw this advert for a Java Architect today on the job boards
    (( No contract rate supplied in the ad, 12 months work ))
    It is very uncommon to find contract rates stated for gigs in the Nordics. The reason is that they view you as an external supplier, not as a mere temp, and they expect you to state your rate, as any supplier would.

If a rate is stated, then it is because they want a temp they can exercise command and control over.

Certain UK-based agencies advertise rates for gigs in the Nordics. They are usually made up (because the end client will usually not tell them what their budget is), and frequently below market rates.

What would be an ongoing rate in Norway?
    For this equivalent in London, UK, IMHO it would be at least £550 per day easy, especially when the client is asking for the Earth and all it's riches. I suspect this would double in Norway, but I don't know. It just seems so hair-brained to me like a scam. It is sounds to good to be true, then ...
    The hourly rate would be from NOK kr 1200 and up per hour. The UK and Ireland use day rates, most of the rest of Europe use hourly rates.

kr 1200 per hour is around £900 per day.

Gigs in the Nordics tend to be long, usually 6+ months but much longer or even without a specific term is not uncommon.

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
      It is very uncommon to find contract rates stated for gigs in the Nordics. The reason is that they view you as an external supplier, not as a mere temp, and they expect you to state your rate, as any supplier would.

If a rate is stated, then it is because they want a temp they can exercise command and control over.

Certain UK-based agencies advertise rates for gigs in the Nordics. They are usually made up (because the end client will usually not tell them what their budget is), and frequently below market rates.

The hourly rate would be from NOK kr 1200 and up per hour. The UK and Ireland use day rates, most of the rest of Europe use hourly rates.

kr 1200 per hour is around £900 per day.

Gigs in the Nordics tend to be long, usually 6+ months but much longer or even without a specific term is not uncommon.
      And can you tell me if you don't mind where they'll pay you £900 per day The low oil prices screwed up the whole market in Norway. You'll be lucky if you can get £400-£500 per day.

Comment

Originally posted by loden View Post
        And can you tell me if you don't mind where they'll pay you £900 per day The low oil prices screwed up the whole market in Norway. You'll be lucky if you can get £400-£500 per day.
        Banking gigs in the nordics pay decent rates. £1k a day is similar to £600 in London due to high taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by loden View Post
          I'm in one right now. In Sweden though, not in Norway. Rates are generally a bit higher in Norway.

Especially look for consultancies/consultancy brokers who will do split contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
            I'm in one right now. In Sweden though, not in Norway. Rates are generally a bit higher in Norway.

Especially look for consultancies/consultancy brokers who will do split contracts.
            What's a split contract?

Comment

Working...
            X