• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are the client/agent taking the micky?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the client/agent taking the micky?

So I'm two months into this gig. Been really enjoying it and perhaps done some of my best work ever. It's been nice to work at a place where I've had a lot of creative freedom on what I've been doing. They were even kind enough to let me work remotely 4 days a week which saved a lot of dough in travelling expenses.

Anyway, as part of the working from home I've been working extra hours to get this project wrapped for phase 1 - the encouragement being that they've got six more months work for me. Perfect. I've put long shifts in much to the displeasure of my wife.

So I've worked a load, billed only for my 8 hours and done more than any of the permie staff but literally 30 minutes ago I get a phone call from the agent, not the company, telling me that they are giving me my 7 days notice, today, and would like me to work up until Friday going in for a handover. The reason I'm being finished is because apparently they have another project ending early and they have some full-time staff free.

My contract simply states 7 days notice, (written too, I've yet to receive anything in writing), but I'll only be paid until Friday.

Personally, I think it's a bit of pee take to call me so close late at the end of the day and count this as an official day of notice. Further, they only want to pay me until Friday. Now while I appreciate that we'd be looking at the day after boxing day and the company is closed, I'd consider the next working day to be Jan 3rd.

Do you think I should press for to be paid for the contractually obligated 7 days? Or should I just take it and leave?

I just feel like I'm having the Michael taken out of me, given the work and hours I've put into this project and that they're doing it just before Christmas. If they've got a project finishing now and have staff available surely they knew that at the time they took me on? I suppose I wouldn't have taken a 2 month gig though. It just feels a bit underhand.

Two words, move on.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Illustrious View Post
      So I'm two months into this gig. Been really enjoying it and perhaps done some of my best work ever. It's been nice to work at a place where I've had a lot of creative freedom on what I've been doing. They were even kind enough to let me work remotely 4 days a week which saved a lot of dough in travelling expenses.

Anyway, as part of the working from home I've been working extra hours to get this project wrapped for phase 1 - the encouragement being that they've got six more months work for me. Perfect. I've put long shifts in much to the displeasure of my wife.

So I've worked a load, billed only for my 8 hours and done more than any of the permie staff but literally 30 minutes ago I get a phone call from the agent, not the company, telling me that they are giving me my 7 days notice, today, and would like me to work up until Friday going in for a handover. The reason I'm being finished is because apparently they have another project ending early and they have some full-time staff free.

My contract simply states 7 days notice, (written too, I've yet to receive anything in writing), but I'll only be paid until Friday.

Personally, I think it's a bit of pee take to call me so close late at the end of the day and count this as an official day of notice. Further, they only want to pay me until Friday. Now while I appreciate that we'd be looking at the day after boxing day and the company is closed, I'd consider the next working day to be Jan 3rd.

Do you think I should press for to be paid for the contractually obligated 7 days? Or should I just take it and leave?

I just feel like I'm having the Michael taken out of me, given the work and hours I've put into this project and that they're doing it just before Christmas. If they've got a project finishing now and have staff available surely they knew that at the time they took me on? I suppose I wouldn't have taken a 2 month gig though. It just feels a bit underhand.
      That's contracting for you. Forget it and enjoy Christmas and start looking next yr

Comment

It happens. Enjoy Christmas and New Year and a new adventure in the January...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Do the minimum, go and get a new gig, why you're busting your balls for a client is anyones guess, my builder doesn't come round to help help me hang up the curtains after he's put a new window in does he

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            Do the minimum, go and get a new gig, why you're busting your balls for a client is anyones guess, my builder doesn't come round to help help me hang up the curtains after he's put a new window in does he
            I was being given lip service by the M.D, promises of extension and all remote working. Sounded ideal. I won't make that mistake again though.

Yeah I think just moving on is the best plan. I've just had a chat with the project manager at the client and he's only just been told I'm out the door. He's not best pleased. Felt that since I knew the project and its full requirements I should have been kept on but the management are adamant that he has to use the newly freed up internal staff.

Still feels a bit poo to be binned at Christmas though. But it's not like I've been fired for being crap at my job or anything

Comment

I would try for the full seven days, per the contract, with payment accepted in lieu of notice. If the contract states in writing then let the agent know the clock starts when you receive written cancellation. Be prepared for it to be rejected but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As others have said, this is one of the joys of contracting. Lesson learned: don't be so eager to work beyond sensible hours as the client will rarely reciprocate your goodwill with any of their own.

Comment

Welcome to contracting. You are a supplier and they are a client. It's business. Sometimes you get a decent gig where they do molly coddle you, the rest of the time you just get hard nosed business. You think you want special attention for the extra hours? Generally not going to happen I am afraid. That was your call to do it. I do personally think putting extra time in where required gets benefits, in your case possibly the WFH option, but generally do not expect anything if you put the extra hours in, particlualry sympathy.

You are expensive and you are no longer needed. They've been as fair as they are required to.

What would you have done if you'd wanted to leave as soon as possible to go to a new gig? Something very similar if possible.

Check your contract about the 7 days notice. It's highly likely there is a don't get paid without a timesheet. We work T&M so if you don't work you don't get paid. They can give you 7 days notice and then not ask you to come in. Same thing.

You did a good job. I am sure they will remember it and you can leave with a good handshake and a relationship that might bear fruit in the future. Argue over a few days and you can kiss all that goodbye.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Check your contract about the 7 days notice. It's highly likely there is a don't get paid without a timesheet. We work T&M so if you don't work you don't get paid. They can give you 7 days notice and then not ask you to come in. Same thing.

You did a good job. I am sure they will remember it and you can leave with a good handshake and a relationship that might bear fruit in the future. Argue over a few days and you can kiss all that goodbye.
                  I agree with this. My point was to ask but don't expect. Sometimes the agent/client will fold when challenged but, if you think there's a relationship worth maintaining, don't push it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I would try for the full seven days, per the contract, with payment accepted in lieu of notice. If the contract states in writing then let the agent know the clock starts when you receive written cancellation. Be prepared for it to be rejected but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As others have said, this is one of the joys of contracting. Lesson learned: don't be so eager to work beyond sensible hours as the client will rarely reciprocate your goodwill with any of their own.
                    I don't think they'll go for it. For one thing, the agent is for one thing claiming it's just 7 calendar days notice. It still needs to be written and as far as I'm concerned if he wants to deliver it tomorrow the clock can start then Also, the client has already expressed a desire for me to work the notice period because they are "short-staffed" on the run up to Christmas. It seems a bit like having your cake and eating it. I've experienced something similar last year when funding was cut on a project. Terminated but told I didn't need to work my notice.

More annoying is that the M.D appeared in a paper last week telling everyone how the company was on target to exceed their project £6.3 Million profit :|

Comment

Working...
                    X