• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nothing to do but client wants to keep me.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Sorry, my apologies, I missed that .

It even has the required happy ending
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP, I think you should approach the client and explain that your workload is a bit light at the moment and ask if they expect that situation to change. Say that you want to continually deliver good value and wanted to make sure that there isn't something that you're missing, i.e. something that you should be doing but haven't been advised of.

See what they say and make a decision based on more facts.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thanks for the input folks.

After careful consideration I have decided to try approaching the client about WFH 2 days a week perhaps citing 'work like balance' or trouble commuting (commute has recently increased) to see what they say. I can then use these 2 days to learn new skills and be paid.

I'll also start looking for new gigs but not wanting to hand in notice till I have something lined up.

With RBS recently saturating the market, Brexit plus now president Trump I'm thinking time's could be tough and don't want to walk out on a good paying gig for nothing.

Thanks again folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Slice View Post
          Thanks for the input folks.

After careful consideration I have decided to try approaching the client about WFH 2 days a week perhaps citing 'work like balance' or trouble commuting (commute has recently increased) to see what they say. I can then use these 2 days to learn new skills and be paid.

I'll also start looking for new gigs but not wanting to hand in notice till I have something lined up.

With RBS recently saturating the market, Brexit plus now president Trump I'm thinking time's could be tough and don't want to walk out on a good paying gig for nothing.

Thanks again folks.
          Glad we've helped you make a decision. I think LondonMac's approach is better than just hiding away at home personally but if it works for you then you've got an answer.

I do think hiding away just because the market could be tough doesn't sound right. It's just gonna get tougher and tougher. I can't think for one minute it's going to be any better whenever you decide to pop out (with your IR35 status in tatters ) as all the PS guys are going to be in the market soon etc. You are either a contractor or you are not. It is going to happen at some point whatever you do. I agree turning down a paying gig isn't the right thing to do but I'd try and be a bit more positive about your skills and being a contractor

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Glad we've helped you make a decision. I think LondonMac's approach is better than just hiding away at home personally but if it works for you then you've got an answer.

I do think hiding away just because the market could be tough doesn't sound right. It's just gonna get tougher and tougher. I can't think for one minute it's going to be any better whenever you decide to pop out (with your IR35 status in tatters ) as all the PS guys are going to be in the market soon etc. You are either a contractor or you are not. It is going to happen at some point whatever you do. I agree turning down a paying gig isn't the right thing to do but I'd try and be a bit more positive about your skills and being a contractor
            The potential action then is to get on the market while still in the current gig. If OP secures a new one, give notice and explain that they don't feel that they're providing value, while at the same time edging towards being inside IR35. As such, it's best for both parties that they leave.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Northern Lad - why the IR35 concern? I know you mentioned direction and control in a previous post, but I can't see how this is a valid concern, given that all things I've done have been recommendations I've made to the client I.e. Me saying I see you don't have X here, it would really benefit you, I can build that for you in approx Y weeks, then me going off and building it.

Perhaps I'm missing your point tho - keen to understand what your concern is around IR35?

Comment

Also, as I say above I will be loooking for new gigs. The WFH is just a short term strategy to stop me going insane while looking - might take me a few weeks.

I have tried approaching this client previously re things being quiet the issue is that the client has very little experience and so doesn't know what they need me to do, they rely on me to say 'oh, you don't have X, you could reply do with that', so asking them for more work doesn't ever get me anywhere. I know they have some other stuff they could give me but it's BaU which is more suited to a perm and I'm not keen on touching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slice View Post
                  Northern Lad - why the IR35 concern? I know you mentioned direction and control in a previous post, but I can't see how this is a valid concern, given that all things I've done have been recommendations I've made to the client I.e. Me saying I see you don't have X here, it would really benefit you, I can build that for you in approx Y weeks, then me going off and building it.

Perhaps I'm missing your point tho - keen to understand what your concern is around IR35?
                  Because it get's increasingly easier to end up with work not detailed in the schedule you signed with the contract. If you've got a good detailed schedule it could be too easy to slip in to other activities. If you've got a wooly 'job spec' of say 'PM for <client>' then that's a different, but equally problematic story. If the client is keeping you as a bum on seat just because he'll lose his budgets it's going to be difficult to prove you are delivering to schedule and nothing else. That's why I mentioned the comment about advising the client you've got 'bandwidth'. His response could be 'oh well can you look at this' and then you've got a problem. Is the stuff you suggest to do in like with your schedule? I could be wrong and you've got it nailed but it's not the best place to be in.

There is also the part and parcel argument that you are just bumming around for no apparent reason which is what permies tend to do and you can slip in to bad practices.

I'm making assumptions so up to you to manage but your situation seems to raise some red flags for me which need careful management if you want to stay squeaky clean.

EDIT : To be fair I'm just writing all this because I've got F' all to do but browse the web at my client waiting for them to give me some other work to do

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you mean. I share your concerns hence why even tho I know BaU are snowed under I'm not touching it with a barge pole and not offering to help!

Cheers for your advice!

Comment

I was in a similar position for a while. The client kept renewing me for 6 months (3 times) and there was nothing to do... I even run out of personal projects to do at work, but had to stay put until house purchase was finalised.

Now I'm one week into a new gig and feeling refreshed. I have more energy after work and feel happy to wake up and go to work where I have specific deliverables.

I actually got a slightly lower rate at the new gig, but don't mind this as I'm feeling alive again. Life is too short!

My previous client is looking to recruit somebody to my position - contractor for that role is approved for another year... they want somebody with experience, qualifications, etc... and when you come work there you will find you are a dead man walking
                      Last edited by tractor123; 9 November 2016, 13:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X