• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BAE systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    Ooh thanks! The best one for me looks like the flight and then direct train. That's what I was hoping for. I drive but the idea of a four/ five hour drive leaves me cold. Can't be too grim if you've done it a number of times. Cheers mate.
    I think that will could take a fair bit longer than driving, once you factor in getting to airports, hanging around for flights etc. There's also cost, but as you are a posh Londoner ... ;-)

What's the gig, may I ask?

Comment

London to Barrow in Furness on the train is 4 hours, I would say that is your best bet. I reckon a flight and train would not be faster.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        London to Barrow in Furness on the train is 4 hours, I would say that is your best bet. I reckon a flight and train would not be faster.
        I don't travel very well on trains (Virgin Pendolino: my idea of hell) and don't relish the idea of sitting on them for so long. But I wouldn't be because you have to change anyway. A mix and match might do it, so sometimes plane part way and sometimes train.

Comment

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
          I think that will could take a fair bit longer than driving, once you factor in getting to airports, hanging around for flights etc. There's also cost, but as you are a posh Londoner ... ;-)

What's the gig, may I ask?
          I am well posh, me.
          I can't tell you yet because my prospective employer might be watching and waiting....I also have some other irons in the fire so this isn't a done deal as yet.

The other thing that's a bit rough is do I start something new before Xmas? I don't really want to and I intend to go abroad for the holidays but the market is never pretty in the new year and it's anyone's guess how long I'll be benched for. Friend in the same field was out for 8 months until recently. There was a number of reasons around that but it sends shivers...

Comment

I am well posh, me.
            I can't tell you yet because my prospective employer might be watching and waiting....I also have some other irons in the fire so this isn't a done deal as yet.
            It's bad enough have to go up there but as an employee as well?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
              Oh Barrow, done that journey so many times.

Barrow only makes two things submarines and bog roll.
              Ditto, I spent my first decade of life in Barrow, still have lots of relatives there so visit often. I moved from Barrow to East London at the age of 10, bit of a culture shock, so the other way round would be similar

As others have said 4 hours from Euston on the train, and I can highly recommend the train from Lancaster to Barrow, really scenic as it skirts the edge of Morecambe Bay.

Barrow also makes some other stuff of note too, Pies!

I am curious though, is there much IT contract work at Vickers? Born there but never worked there, would be interesting to do a stint, plus free lodging from the family...
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Ooh thanks! The best one for me looks like the flight and then direct train. That's what I was hoping for. I drive but the idea of a four/ five hour drive leaves me cold. Can't be too grim if you've done it a number of times. Cheers mate.
                That was 20 years ago; with the 50 zones on the M6, the level of traffic on the M6. Even using the toll road, you're just missing the M6/M5 bottleneck and meeting the rest of the traffic at Cannock.

Depends whereabouts you are in London and what time you're travelling but it could easily go over 8 hours.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  Ditto, I spent my first decade of life in Barrow, still have lots of relatives there so visit often. I moved from Barrow to East London at the age of 10, bit of a culture shock, so the other way round would be similar

As others have said 4 hours from Euston on the train, and I can highly recommend the train from Lancaster to Barrow, really scenic as it skirts the edge of Morecambe Bay.

I am curious though, is there much IT contract work at Vickers? Born there but never worked there, would be interesting to do a stint, plus free lodging from the family...
                  OK Submarines, Bog roll, and Pies... where is the Pie bakery then?

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                    OK Submarines, Bog roll, and Pies... where is the Pie bakery then?
                    Jarrow street, it's not far from barrow park

https://g.co/kgs/bvfCJI
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post

Yep, massive IT systems, at the moment they are prepping for the Successor Programme, all the day to day IT is out sourced to Capita though so if you want to be involved in that side there is a cost
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X