• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When its time to get something new - permies etc.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    PC and NLUK were having a sensible discussion. You are not adding to it.

Either contribute in a grown-up manner or stop posting in this thread.
    Did I miss some tear in the space/time continuum?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I do see what you are saying but don't think you've worded it right. I think everyone can do something to manage it, but yes It's not going to be successful for everyone. If people think they can't try the raft of techniques out there I don't think they've tried very hard. Like many behavioural things I think it can be improved with effort over time to some degree. Saying' I just can't' is probably part of the problem IMO, and if that is the case then you are probably right.

For example. Conflict is a big cause of stress and many people just think you've got to go head to head or put up and shut up but there are loads of models like Thomas and Kilmann who put forward methods of dealing with it such as Competing, Compromising, Collaborating, Avoiding, and Accommodating. There are loads of other theories. If someone is struggling with conflict related stress and don't know terms like these then I think there is a good chance they can get better at it. If they are just too stressed to care then yes, that type of person won't be able to change.

I do think stuff like this and other soft skills should be part of a contractors approach, not just tech skills. We are gonna see it all dealing with so many clients over a career so being able to make it easier is surely a good thing no?
      It's also something that even your average contractor will need to do. Its got to be impossible for your average contractor not to show up the permanent employees around them as they will have worked in other places and know more.

One of the first things a contractor needs to know is how to correct things without annoying others and how to handle people when you are (probably without trying and realising) showing them up...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
      X