• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you handle disgruntled permanent staff and management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you handle disgruntled permanent staff and management

Hi there

I'm just looking to get some advice/feedback about a situation I find myself in at my current contract. I'm about to start my third week as a developer and last week things in the office took a turn for the worst.

Essentially one my permanent colleagues has been getting a little jealous since he saw my car one afternoon when I went out to get lunch. It started off with a few what I thought, at the time, were throw away jokes/comments about being paid too much but his general attitude towards me has been in the toilet since then. He takes issue with every bit of code I ask for review, with some fairly ludicrous suggestions that offer little to no improvements over what I've provided. He's essentially flexing his muscle and, what's more, trying to make me look like a tool in front of my manager.

On Friday I asked for a code review at 2pm to be told he was busy. I started some other tasks to fill in the time but really needed to get this work checked in because we were at the end of the current Sprint and at the team meeting the manager made a point of telling me that this stuff all had to be in. Anyway after asking all afternoon he finally decided to come over at 5, (he knows I finish 5.30 and live 3 hours from site), and proceeds to demolish what I've put together. He tries to dress it all up as advice but worse still he sits at my desk, deletes nearly everything I've done to put in his preferred solution. Only he then breaks all of my tests and essentially nothing can be checked in for the end of Sprint. My manager then asks why I'm shelving work and I point out that my tests are no longer valid and, as per his rules, no check-ins can happen without approval or accompanying tests.

The manager went mental and I mean absolutely spare but, despite being told that a perfectly acceptable solution was in place and his senior dev had destroyed the work, he tells me that they're "paying me a lot of f###ing money", more than he's on in fact and that I should have delivered it. No consideration of the intervention of someone else who I feel is clearly trying to undermine me.

Basically it's making me feel sick. I don't know how I can operate in an environment where the senior developer is going out of his way to undermine my work and make me look like an idiot. It wouldn't be so bad if I had other developers to go to for check-in or if I had autonomy but he's the only developer in the office I can ask for review.

I understand the practices of code review, I've done many myself, but I've never done what the senior dev did on Friday. Especially at end of Sprint. Also I have no issue with swearing in the office but I take issue with being sworn at. I conduct myself professionally at all times and I expect the same courtesy to be shown to me. Furthermore, I don't expect my pay to be brought up in front of the other developers, it's never ever been thrown at me before and you'd never say the same thing to a permanent staff member.

It came to light last week that their previous contractor left the week before I arrived and he didn't last a fortnight. Something isn't right in there. But I'm torn on what to do. I'm concerned this is going to spiral into full blown harassment/bullying and there'll be false accusations thrown around that I'm inept or incapable of performing my job. I've never been in this situation before.

Do I..
    • Say, say nothing, keep invoicing and wait for the inevitable termination
    • Address the issue with the manager, even though the senior dev is his best bud and try to explain the situation even though I'm also uncomfortable with the manager after his unwarranted outburst on Friday.
    • Walk away with my dignity and tell them I'm not happy taking s##t

Has anyone else been in a similar situation with colleagues undermining their position? How did you handle it?
    Last edited by Illustrious; 1 October 2016, 17:29.

1) Buy this book Death March Projects

2) Read it.

3) Don't be a doormat or a hero.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Since your project follows Agile methodolgy, Scrum Master or PM or PO is interested in completion of a story. Therefore, If I were you, I would acknowledge the outcome of the review (not agree) even praise him for his "valuable comments" and push it to a sprint that focuses on improvement. At the end of the day, its an improvement story, rather than a mandatory feature.

If such sprint, doesn't exist, recommend one. Tell them it is needed to implement "valuable comments". Push the ball to his court where let him convince the team why such change must happen within the sprint, while you stick to "working software" principle.
      Last edited by itjobs; 1 October 2016, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Illustrious View Post

Do I..
        • Say, say nothing, keep invoicing and wait for the inevitable termination
        • Address the issue with the manager, even though the senior dev is his best bud and try to explain the situation even though I'm also uncomfortable with the manager after his unwarranted outburst on Friday.
        • Walk away with my dignity and tell them I'm not happy taking s##t
        1 or 3.

No point with 2. The manager and the dev are best buddies so what do you think you will achieve? Only if staff keep walking out will they realise there is a problem.

Oh and next time people say you have a nice car lie and say it's on hire/leased, OR get personalised plates so people can't work out how old it is then say it's older than they think.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          1 or 3.

No point with 2. The manager and the dev are best buddies so what do you think you will achieve? Only if staff keep walking out will they realise there is a problem.
          Similar thing happened to me recently (I do Dev every now and then), however I was waiting for an opportunity and didn't want to start a battle that I will not win. Couple of weeks later when the recruitment freeze came into effect, I gave them the notice period. Client wanted me to stay by sorting out the problem.

Oh and next time people say you have a nice car lie and say it's on hire/leased, OR get personalised plates so people can't work out how old it is then say it's older than they think.
          How will he then impress a girl...lol

Comment

Originally posted by itjobs View Post
            Similar thing happened to me recently (I do Dev every now and then), however I was waiting for an opportunity and didn't want to start a battle that I will not win. Couple of weeks later when the recruitment freeze came into effect, I gave them the notice period. Client wanted me to stay by sorting out the problem.

I don't think "You just need to sack that permanent member of staff" will work.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't think "You just need to sack that permanent member of staff" will work.
              :-), I wasn't that kind of irreplaceable guy. From the management point of view it was easy to keep us focusing on separate entities where interference was almost none.

Comment

No. 3 - but make sure you cc in some of the senior guys, with 'recommendations' based on your previous professional experience. Outlining the perms behaviour etc.

The senior guys are generally above the pissing contest you're caught up in, and are likely to take note. But it's a risky move, but if it's as bad as you say.. why not?

The caveat to the above is that you're not actually crap at your job, and the senior dev isn't just calling out your mistakes and you're now not having a strop on the internet.
                I've known a lot of contractors in your position and in my experience 9/10 times, it was because they weren't able to complete their deliverables to the expected level of quality.

Comment

Plus start looking round.

Comment

Life's too short for that kind of behaviour.

I'd love to know who this is so I can avoid them, but obviously you won't name them.

I'd hand in my notice, and that would probably expedite a termination.

Comment

Working...
                    X