• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letting Agents v Recruitment Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop the ignorance..

These views on recruitment agents are so entertaining and narrow minded. Why should you know how/dictate much an agency is making when you don't know this for 95% of every other services you use?

There are tons of comparable industries, all that act as middle men and take their cut. Where does the transparency stop and why is there such a distinction between recruiters and other industries??

IMO The issue stems from the contractor believing that a recruiter is taking a cut of THIER margin when that's simply not the reality. The margin that a recruiter makes covers much more than pure profit on a single contractor.

The clients I work work take a large amount of my time for unpaid services - obviously these are not unpaid, no one works for free so the time / cost of this service to our clients must be recouped from our margins.
    • benchmarking salaries / packages of competitors
    • market intelligence gathering
    • putting together job specifications
    • on-boarding new permies
    • advanced screening (DBSetc)
    • vacancies cancelled after putting in weeks worth of unpaid work, rebate guarantees (often for circumstances outside of our control),
    • payrolling of contractors (on what could be up to 90 day terms in some cases)

To assume that you have any level of insight into the actual profit the agency is making is just plain ignorance. If you could get your head around the fact that it's not your money that agencies are taking a cut of then you'd stress out a lot less about it.

You should really put yourself in the place of a recruiter to understand how they make money. I've been recruiting over 10 years and I'd happily say that I've earnt every 10%, 20% and 30%+ margin that I've ever made.

I could go on about how hard it is to be a recruiter, I worked 14 hour days for 5 years straight to make a living, forget placing and advert and sending the best 3 candidates, that's a false reality created by contractors just justify their views on agencies having low margins.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
      I could go on about how hard it is to be a recruiter, I worked 14 hour days for 5 years straight to make a living, forget placing and advert and sending the best 3 candidates, that's a false reality created by contractors just justify their views on agencies having low margins.
      Many perms in the city do exactly the same, its called building your career, so I don't really see why it is any harder than anything else.

Some people choose a different route, not working for the 14 hour days, per se, but working a simpler job and studying in their own time. That's what I chose, same thing, different game.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

These views on recruitment agents are so entertaining and narrow minded.....
        You're almost certainly making a very good point but almost nobody on this forum is interested.

Quiet day in the office?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          You're almost certainly making a very good point but almost nobody on this forum is interested.

Quiet day in the office?

Yeh, I mean we could make a similar post regarding what contractors have to do to get their money.

Would he GAS?

No

u
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

These views on recruitment agents are so entertaining and narrow minded. Why should you know how/dictate much an agency is making when you don't know this for 95% of every other services you use?

There are tons of comparable industries, all that act as middle men and take their cut. Where does the transparency stop and why is there such a distinction between recruiters and other industries??

IMO The issue stems from the contractor believing that a recruiter is taking a cut of THIER margin when that's simply not the reality. The margin that a recruiter makes covers much more than pure profit on a single contractor.

The clients I work work take a large amount of my time for unpaid services - obviously these are not unpaid, no one works for free so the time / cost of this service to our clients must be recouped from our margins.
            • vacancies cancelled after putting in weeks worth of unpaid work, rebate guarantees (often for circumstances outside of our control),

To assume that you have any level of insight into the actual profit the agency is making is just plain ignorance. If you could get your head around the fact that it's not your money that agencies are taking a cut of then you'd stress out a lot less about it.

You should really put yourself in the place of a recruiter to understand how they make money. I've been recruiting over 10 years and I'd happily say that I've earnt every 10%, 20% and 30%+ margin that I've ever made.

Quite . For example Tesco make 4000% margins on Lettuces, Disgusting
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I suppose if you had worked hard at school and learnt your grammar you would have had a proper job
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                I suppose if you had worked hard at school and learnt your grammar you would have had a proper job
                Oh you're one of those guys, no real value to add so go along the grammar route, wow are you a smart cookie.. hahaha

Seriously, this is an internet forum, not a GCSE English exam..

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Quiet day in the office?
                  Someone's interested Lance, they went to the trouble of creating a post to discuss te subject..

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Yeh, I mean we could make a similar post regarding what contractors have to do to get their money.

Would he GAS?

No

u
                    And I've no doubt that if somone was slating IT contractors you'd do exactly that. I don't get your point?

Comment

Oh you're one of those guys, no real value to add so go along the grammar route, wow are you a smart cookie.. hahaha

Seriously, this is an internet forum, not a GCSE English exam..
                      Careful, that's the current CUK Forum Personality of the Year you are being so disparaging to there.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X