• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting at high rate for charity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting at high rate for charity

Got this opportunity, 6 months initially, they are paying an above private sector average rate for my area of expertise, because it's urgent. How long until they ditch me or start begging me to accept a lower rate, it because it's too expensive for them?

I'm close to declining the offer, but would like to see what others have experienced

I don't even bother with charities whatever the rate. I know a few people that have tried them and not one of them has much good to say. Buggers your CV up as well IMO.

I steer well clear personally.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My highest every rate was 9 months for a charity. I left once I'd had enough.

You're asking for answers to potenital future behaviour of a client about which we know nothing I assume in order to obtain some peace of mind about YOUR decision. Really?

Turning down a well paid gig on the off chance they might lower the rate at some unknown point in the future sounds like rank stupidity to me

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        My highest every rate was 9 months for a charity. I left once I'd had enough.

You're asking for answers to potenital future behaviour of a client about which we know nothing I assume in order to obtain some peace of mind about YOUR decision. Really?

Turning down a well paid gig on the off chance they might lower the rate at some unknown point in the future sounds like rank stupidity to me
        I had a bad experience with a city council. 6 month contract ditched after 2 months, because someone was coming back from maternity leave at some point in the future. I'm afraid charities will be similar or worse.

Comment

I've never been asked to lower my rate for any of the charities I've either contracted at or provided deliverables to. I knew someone who had a lengthy contract with a well-known charity. Not the greatest rate, but he did have whole swathes of time where he had no work. They just paid the money.

That said, I'm yet to work with a charity that was even half-way organised. They seem to be full of people who couldn't even cut it in the public sector. Pay wise, they are fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            I had a bad experience with a city council. 6 month contract ditched after 2 months, because someone was coming back from maternity leave at some point in the future. I'm afraid charities will be similar or worse.
            What use is any of that????
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not that there's stories of other organisations cutting contractors at a moment's notice in any other sector, or anything like that.....

Banking?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If most of us had the attitude that you are displaying with this, we would never work at all

Honestly, you just cannot compare this sort of thing, people can have bad experiences on one contract with one company, then have another one, same company different team, where it can be quite good.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I don't see why there is an issue? Its above market rate but youre worried they will lower it in the future?

Few options:

1. Dont take it, wait and maybe find something else at market rate.
                  2. Take it and fill your boots until they ask you to lower your rate, then lower your rate down to the market rate.
                  3. Take it and fill your boots until they ask you to lower your rate, then say no, They will either keep you at your higher rate or end your contract.

Of all three option 2 seems the best, you get the higher rate for as long as it lasts then IF they try to lower it at some point in the future and its still acceptable stay, youll still have had x months at a higher rate than if you didnt take it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I don't even bother with charities whatever the rate. I know a few people that have tried them and not one of them has much good to say. Buggers your CV up as well IMO.

I steer well clear personally.
                    Could you elaborate a bit pls? Do they have a particular rep or way of working?

I'm genuinely interested

Comment

Working...
                    X