• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked for commitment in very fluid situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    I am fully aware of the potential consequences of terminating a contract early, and I didn't advocate that that is something that the OP should definitely do, just that it's something that can be done. As opposed to NLUK who seems to like to suggest that the sky would come falling down if you ever even so much as considered that course of action.

Is it "GOOD BUSINESS" to switch contracts to increase your Limited's income? Yes. Is it "GOOD BUSINESS" to do that same switch if doing so would annoy the client who gets ditched? Possibly it still is. It depends how much more the other contract is worth and whether or not you would get a new contract in the future anyway. You mention it quite a few times, and they're always big "ifs". If the client is a repeat client, If the client gives you a referral.

In some contracts, you get the feeling that there could well be plenty of work in the future and that keeping this particular client sweet is the best thing to do. That's great. Don't ditch. However, there are other gigs where you just know that you're unlikely to be offered further work beyond your current contract, or that maybe you simply wouldn't want to go back even if offered (perhaps you're treated as a permie-tractor for example). In those scenarios? Sure, ditch away for more income when that opportunity arises.

That said, if it makes you feel better to always decline a definite opportunity of earning more money just because your current contract may get renewed or that your current client may decide to hire you again in the future, then by all means, don't let me stop you.
    For me, the key to it being good business is how big your market is, how much you think you'd get a reputation for a contract breaker and what impact it has on future deals. If you're skillset is industry agnostic then it may not be an issue.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      For me, the key to it being good business is how big your market is, how much you think you'd get a reputation for a contract breaker and what impact it has on future deals. If you're skillset is industry agnostic then it may not be an issue.
      This. I tend to take the high road when newbies are asking so they get a grasp of the situation and consider. Nothing wrong with doing it from time to time in exceptional circumstances but having a mercenary mindset and doing it time after time is gonna bite them. It's just me being overly pedantic to make them understand the bigger picture.

BB mentioned may extend etc but on the flip side how many posts have we seen where the new one has evaporated and the contractor complains he left the old gig for it etc.

Plenty of older heads have given notice and I've not rolled this one out. I'm sure I'll do it one day, particularly with me being in the PS right now. I will most certainly inform the forum I did so I can take a bit of what I give.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        This. I tend to take the high road when newbies are asking so they get a grasp of the situation and consider. Nothing wrong with doing it from time to time in exceptional circumstances but having a mercenary mindset and doing it time after time is gonna bite them. It's just me being overly pedantic to make them understand the bigger picture.

BB mentioned may extend etc but on the flip side how many posts have we seen where the new one has evaporated and the contractor complains he left the old gig for it etc.

Plenty of older heads have given notice and I've not rolled this one out. I'm sure I'll do it one day, particularly with me being in the PS right now. I will most certainly inform the forum I did so I can take a bit of what I give.
        That's the crux of it for me. The only time I'd consider jumping is when the client have confirmed that they won't be extending and it's coming to the end of the contract. Week's notice as late as possible down the line with the new contract.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
          Is it "GOOD BUSINESS" to switch contracts to increase your Limited's income? Yes. Is it "GOOD BUSINESS" to do that same switch if doing so would annoy the client who gets ditched? Possibly it still is. It depends how much more the other contract is worth and whether or not you would get a new contract in the future anyway. You mention it quite a few times, and they're always big "ifs". If the client is a repeat client, If the client gives you a referral.

In some contracts, you get the feeling that there could well be plenty of work in the future and that keeping this particular client sweet is the best thing to do. That's great. Don't ditch. However, there are other gigs where you just know that you're unlikely to be offered further work beyond your current contract, or that maybe you simply wouldn't want to go back even if offered (perhaps you're treated as a permie-tractor for example). In those scenarios? Sure, ditch away for more income when that opportunity arises.

That said, if it makes you feel better to always decline a definite opportunity of earning more money just because your current contract may get renewed or that your current client may decide to hire you again in the future, then by all means, don't let me stop you.
          I said, it depends on the circumstances. You said, "it depends." Fine, we agree. I'd say there are more factors in "circumstances" than you mentioned, but whatever. If you'd have said "it depends" in the first place instead of a blanket statement and implying that there are no consequences, we could have saved a few bytes of cyberspace.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            I said, it depends on the circumstances. You said, "it depends." Fine, we agree. I'd say there are more factors in "circumstances" than you mentioned, but whatever. If you'd have said "it depends" in the first place instead of a blanket statement and implying that there are no consequences, we could have saved a few bytes of cyberspace.
            Yes, but where would be the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              So they just give you a contract with an uneven notice period. You can't give notice, they can. Pretty common and run of the mill to be honest.

Also the situation described should be what you do anywhere. It's gonna start an argument but taking a contract with no intention to go out into completion and dump it to find work elsewhere is highly unprofessional. You are a supplier to a client. You can't just go round welching on gigs just because you've found one a little better.

I think the best has played this very badly to be honest. The comment about canning you if budget runs out. That's the case for all of us but by highlighting it specifically they've made an issue where there wasn't one. You should know the project so your call.
              You options are take it and fulfil it or don't.
              I am always amazed about this "professional" attitude. They can screw you as long as they want and you have some "honour code". As you like to remind others - you are running business and you have other "professional" responsibilities to your shareholders and employees. Sometimes in business you have to make difficult decisions and if it is better for your company you will have to dump “unreliable” customer for another more reliable. As simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                I am always amazed about this "professional" attitude. They can screw you as long as they want and you have some "honour code". As you like to remind others - you are running business and you have other "professional" responsibilities to your shareholders and employees. Sometimes in business you have to make difficult decisions and if it is better for your company you will have to dump “unreliable” customer for another more reliable. As simple as that.

There's a big difference between dumping an unreliable customer and walking out on a contract. If the customer is paying invoices on time and has not breached the contract, you cannot call them unreliable.
                If that is the case then all customers in your book are unreliable.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  There's a big difference between dumping an unreliable customer and walking out on a contract. If the customer is paying invoices on time and has not breached the contract, you cannot call them unreliable.
                  If that is the case then all customers in your book are unreliable.
                  I think it is for company director to decide that. Most decisions in life a subjective and only based on available information.

This question is from business studies 1st year 1st chapter.
                  "Responsibility to stakeholders"
                  And customer is usually not on the top....
                  Last edited by AndrewK; 14 September 2016, 17:17.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                    I think it is for company director to decide that. Most decisions in life a subjective and only based on available information.

This question is from business studies 1st year 1st chapter.
                    "Responsibility to stakeholders"
                    And customer is usually not on the top....
                    This isn't business studies course but the real world.

In the real world if you just walk out on a contract with no notice breaching your contractual agreement the other party is entitled to sue for their losses in court and would win. Most cases don't go in front of a judge because people reach agreements over compensation.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      This isn't business studies course but the real world.

In the real world if you just walk out on a contract with no notice breaching your contractual agreement the other party is entitled to sue for their losses in court and would win. Most cases don't go in front of a judge because people reach agreements over compensation.
                      Assessing risks is part of decision making. We all know that both parties have many holes on how get away without actual breach in contract. Send substitute, sickness etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X