• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked for commitment in very fluid situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Please could you put the quote BEFORE you comments so we have context for your answer, however bad it is.
    In Usenet days it was called top posting and very much frowned upon!

Comment

It's gonna start an argument but taking a contract with no intention to go out into completion and dump it to find work elsewhere is highly unprofessional. You are a supplier to a client.
      Yes, remember that. A supplier, not an indentured servant or slave.

You can't just go round welching on gigs just because you've found one a little better.
      Yes you can. You absolutely can.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
        Ah yes you can. Just like you can go round punching random strangers in the face. Both have consequences and neither are very clever.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, remember that. A supplier, not an indentured servant or slave.

You can, depending on the situation and the most important the way you do it.

Comment

Originally posted by zenore View Post
            It was told last week that my assignment would end of September, I immediately started looking out but have not got anything concrete. However now my client manager wants to continue for another 3 month on a condition that I commit to complete the project and not look elsewhere. But they would not be able to commit to me as this project can be canned any time due to factors beyond there control (Mostly office politics).

Given the market situation, I am not sure of taking out by end of September without any offer in hand but, If I accept I would certainly be finishing by end of November which would not be the best period for new contract or worth can be dumped with short notice in coming weeks.
            In summary "I'm a contractor, should I accept the new contract?"

No project can give you a guarantee that you won't be let go early - my first contract terminated two weeks into a six month extension, for example. What you describe is one of the risks of being a contractor.

If I was the client, I would be offering a three month extension with no notice period for you if I was that worried - and then it's up to you to accept it or not to accept it. If I was you, I would be weighing up whether you want to extend, want to take the risk of staying and leaving early, want to take the risk of it finishing at the end of November, want to take the risk of leaving now etc etc.

No-one here can really provide any meaningful advise for you, but good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
              No-one here can really provide any meaningful advise for you, but good luck with whatever you decide.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Bottom line is that you have zero guaranteed days from these guys, just like any other contract. Why would you expect this to be different?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Ah yes you can. Just like you can go round punching random strangers in the face. Both have consequences and neither are very clever.
                  Nice strawman. Absolutely not the same thing at all. Punching random strangers in the face is both immoral and illegal. Terminating a contract mid-way through, without breaking the terms of the contract (which is very frequently doable), is absolutely neither of those things, as well you know.

Comment

Nice strawman. Absolutely not the same thing at all. Punching random strangers in the face is both immoral and illegal. Terminating a contract mid-way through, without breaking the terms of the contract (which is very frequently doable), is absolutely neither of those things, as well you know.
                    If the contract makes provision for breaking it, it is legal to do so. Whether or not it is moral to do so depends on the individual circumstances.

Whether or not it is GOOD BUSINESS to do so is quite another question. It also depends on the circumstances. But if every client is a potential repeat client, or a potential referral to the best contract you've ever had, then breaking a contract is often shortsighted and counterproductive, even if it is legal, and even if there is no moral component.

His point was not a straw man. Sure, there are different consequences for punching strangers and breaking contracts. But both do have consequences, and it is foolish to not consider those before taking the action. And it's not great advice to tell someone to welch on contracts if they found a better one without mentioning they should consider the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                      If the contract makes provision for breaking it, it is legal to do so. Whether or not it is moral to do so depends on the individual circumstances.

Whether or not it is GOOD BUSINESS to do so is quite another question. It also depends on the circumstances. But if every client is a potential repeat client, or a potential referral to the best contract you've ever had, then breaking a contract is often shortsighted and counterproductive, even if it is legal, and even if there is no moral component.

His point was not a straw man. Sure, there are different consequences for punching strangers and breaking contracts. But both do have consequences, and it is foolish to not consider those before taking the action. And it's not great advice to tell someone to welch on contracts if they found a better one without mentioning they should consider the consequences.
                      I am fully aware of the potential consequences of terminating a contract early, and I didn't advocate that that is something that the OP should definitely do, just that it's something that can be done. As opposed to NLUK who seems to like to suggest that the sky would come falling down if you ever even so much as considered that course of action.

Is it "GOOD BUSINESS" to switch contracts to increase your Limited's income? Yes. Is it "GOOD BUSINESS" to do that same switch if doing so would annoy the client who gets ditched? Possibly it still is. It depends how much more the other contract is worth and whether or not you would get a new contract in the future anyway. You mention it quite a few times, and they're always big "ifs". If the client is a repeat client, If the client gives you a referral.

In some contracts, you get the feeling that there could well be plenty of work in the future and that keeping this particular client sweet is the best thing to do. That's great. Don't ditch. However, there are other gigs where you just know that you're unlikely to be offered further work beyond your current contract, or that maybe you simply wouldn't want to go back even if offered (perhaps you're treated as a permie-tractor for example). In those scenarios? Sure, ditch away for more income when that opportunity arises.

That said, if it makes you feel better to always decline a definite opportunity of earning more money just because your current contract may get renewed or that your current client may decide to hire you again in the future, then by all means, don't let me stop you.

Comment

Working...
                      X