• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter vs direct contact when nothing happens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiter vs direct contact when nothing happens

Hi,

and many apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but these fora are huge and time is running out.

Me: fifty-something, solid career in software/UNIX/networking with an amount of hands-on technical/team management, but newish to contracting. Have been on the non-perm side for about three years.

Situation: Two weeks ago I was approached by a recruiter for a deep (but suitable) technical contract; I said "go ahead". The recruiter said they were signing an exclusive contract with the company, just a matter of a few days. As of now, no movement, in spite of promises; recruiter is responsive, but nothing happens. I have in the meantime been approached by three other recruiters for the exact same contract, and the company has been identified both implicitly and explicitly. The particular contract role isn't advertised on the company's website, but numerous other roles (both permanent and contract) are (but I trust the role in question is genuine).

Question 1: What can/should I do wrt the original role? Is the original recruiter just full of it? For a run-of-the-mill recruitment company to establish an exclusive contract with the company in question sounds unlikely, it would be the tail wagging the dog, but I have little experience with that side of business. I'm inclined to withdraw my permission to the recruitment company, and proceed in other ways, including approaching the employer directly, but I feel there is something unethical about that, not least considering that the role isn't advertised and I only know about it because the recruiter told me about it; but then, so did three other recruiters, and in their attempts to light my fire, they (all four) identified the company in various ways, explicitly and implicitly.

Question 2: Would there be any issue with me approaching the company entirely independently wrt their other roles? These are all advertised on the company's website, and have never been discussed with any recruitment company. I can't imagine this would be a problem, but my experience so far with the recruitment industry doesn't inspire confidence; it seems to be pretty cut-throat and with a distinctive dog-eat-dog attitude, especially if you can get people to sign on it.

Many thanks for any help/suggestions.

Best,

/Rob/

Originally posted by robertsudabu View Post
    Hi,

and many apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but these fora are huge and time is running out.
    You can use the Google Search method for quickly searching. For example if you wanted to find threads on notice you'd put 'notice site:forums.contractoruk.com'
    There is a sticky in the welcome section explaining it in detail.

Situation: Two weeks ago I was approached by a recruiter for a deep (but suitable) technical contract; I said "go ahead". The recruiter said they were signing an exclusive contract with the company, just a matter of a few days. As of now, no movement, in spite of promises; recruiter is responsive, but nothing happens. I have in the meantime been approached by three other recruiters for the exact same contract, and the company has been identified both implicitly and explicitly. The particular contract role isn't advertised on the company's website, but numerous other roles (both permanent and contract) are (but I trust the role in question is genuine).
    OK got it and yes it comes up a lot.
    Question 1: What can/should I do wrt the original role? Is the original recruiter just full of it? For a run-of-the-mill recruitment company to establish an exclusive contract with the company in question sounds unlikely, it would be the tail wagging the dog, but I have little experience with that side of business. I'm inclined to withdraw my permission to the recruitment company, and proceed in other ways, including approaching the employer directly, but I feel there is something unethical about that, not least considering that the role isn't advertised and I only know about it because the recruiter told me about it; but then, so did three other recruiters, and in their attempts to light my fire, they (all four) identified company in various ways, explicitly and implicitly.
    For a start it's the client, notnthe employer.

Secondly, are you talking about chasing client directly to find about the role or to go direct? It's highly unlikely a client will take direct contractors if agents are involved. Calling client direct is a very tricky thing to do. They don't know you from Adam so I'd guess in most cases won't take too kindly to being called by random contractors out of the blue. I wouldn't do it except maybe extreme cases where I am already engaged somehow.

Question 2: Would there be any issue with me approaching the company entirely independently wrt their other roles? These are all advertised on the company's website, and have never been discussed with any recruitment company. I can't imagine this would be a problem, but my experience so far with the recruitment industry doesn't inspire confidence; it seems to be pretty cut-throat and with a distinctive dog-eat-dog attitude, especially if you can get people to sign on it.
    Oh. I think I covered this above.

Not sure what responsive but nothing happens means. He just says he's heard nothing? U can't help thinking if the agent is being responsive something is in the fire. If you haven't been submitted, been rejected and there is no chance of you making any money for the agent you'd be dead to them and you'd know it.

With so many recruiters I'll take a stab at a public sector client? Don't usually get this many recruiters in the loop. If it is it is possible nothing has happened. One more than one occasion I've seen gigs with the DWP advertised by multiple agencies and it took so long for the client to get round to feeding back I'd found something else.

What you need to do in future is say you give the agency exclusive rights for X days. That means after that you can try another. It's highly possible a bun fight will ensue but at least you've tried.

Whether or not you go for another recruiter I don't know. I've been burned badly losing a potential gig by applying to two and them arguing who had dibs and then getting dropped by the client.

Either way you should still be applying as if you've got nothing.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 23 August 2016, 22:52.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Some threads on the issues of applying via two agents.
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tw...obile&ie=UTF-8

Comment

Some threads in bypassing agents

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie....0.Lwgja5uN4fs

Comment

I'd speak to one of the other agents and ask them to find out who is on the PSL, particularly the agency that is keenest on you. Sounds like the one you're with isn't and are BS-ing you about this deal.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            I'd speak to one of the other agents and ask them to find out who is on the PSL, particularly the agency that is keenest on you. Sounds like the one you're with isn't and are BS-ing you about this deal.
            This. That would be my concern: that the original agent isn't on the PSL and therefore can't place you. I'd definitely do what LondonManc suggests and speak to the other agent who seems keenest on you and see who's on the PSL. If they confirm that the original agent isn't on the PSL then I'd ask the original agent directly: are you on the client's PSL? If not, and they don't mention that they will be, then I'd withdraw saying something along the lines of "as you aren't on ClientABC's PSL, I'm unable to continue my application through your agency." They will likely huff and bluff, but ultimately, they're unlikely to have any comeback, even if you've previously said they can represent you exclusively.

I would heed NLUK's advice about contacting the client directly though: don't. As they haven't spoken to you before, it will essentially be an unsolicited phone call and may well rub them up the wrong way. There are many reasons clients choose to use agents, and not dealing with multiple suppliers (contractors) is often one of them.

In addition, agents do generally pay on time and with good payment terms - which is a lot more than can be said of many large organisations when you go direct. Trust me!

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
              This. That would be my concern: that the original agent isn't on the PSL and therefore can't place you. I'd definitely do what LondonManc suggests and speak to the other agent who seems keenest on you and see who's on the PSL. If they confirm that the original agent isn't on the PSL then I'd ask the original agent directly: are you on the client's PSL? If not, and they don't mention that they will be, then I'd withdraw saying something along the lines of "as you aren't on ClientABC's PSL, I'm unable to continue my application through your agency." They will likely huff and bluff, but ultimately, they're unlikely to have any comeback, even if you've previously said they can represent you exclusively.

I would heed NLUK's advice about contacting the client directly though: don't. As they haven't spoken to you before, it will essentially be an unsolicited phone call and may well rub them up the wrong way. There are many reasons clients choose to use agents, and not dealing with multiple suppliers (contractors) is often one of them.

In addition, agents do generally pay on time and with good payment terms - which is a lot more than can be said of many large organisations when you go direct. Trust me!
              Cheers, completely agree with your further points too - clients use agents to keep the great unwashed at arm's length. The key thing is that if they're not on the PSL and ClientCo only deals with agents that are, then FlyByNightAgent are in no place to offer you work, meaning that there is no demonstrable loss to them.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hi nluk,

I once did an online test about how northern you are; I scored 80%!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                For a start it's the client, notnthe employer.
                Yes, of course, sorry.

Not sure what responsive but nothing happens means. He just says he's heard nothing? U can't help thinking if the agent is being responsive something is in the fire. If you haven't been submitted, been rejected and there is no chance of you making any money for the agent you'd be dead to them and you'd know it.
                The agent responds promptly to questions, but is waiting for their (exclusive) contract with the client to be signed; until that happens they can't forward my CV (or so the story goes). My concern is that in truth it's a long shot for the agent to get an exclusive contract (maybe they'll never get it), and in the meantime the role is filled via one of the other agencies.

What you need to do in future is say you give the agency exclusive rights for X days. That means after that you can try another. It's highly possible a bun fight will ensue but at least you've tried.
                Excellent advice, many thanks.

/Rob/

Comment

This. That would be my concern: that the original agent isn't on the PSL and therefore can't place you.
                  This is where it's a bit peppered; the agent has clearly stated they haven't got a contract with the client, but that they are just about to complete negotiation of an exclusive contract. In retrospect, that does sound a bit like a routine tourist scam, but I don't know how common exclusive supplier contracts are.

Roger that, I've worked direct for a few years, and recently had my first agency contract; I was very impressed with how the agency handled everything, and felt they were genuinely on my side. But I guess that's just because that's where the money was.

Best,

/Rob/

Comment

Originally posted by robertsudabu View Post
                    Hi nluk,

I once did an online test about how northern you are; I scored 80%!
                    More than me then

The agent responds promptly to questions, but is waiting for their (exclusive) contract with the client to be signed; until that happens they can't forward my CV (or so the story goes). My concern is that in truth it's a long shot for the agent to get an exclusive contract (maybe they'll never get it), and in the meantime the role is filled via one of the other agencies.
                    Hmm, looking at this and the previous replies maybe I've misunderstood. I've applied to gigs via an agent to find out multiple agents are feeding in to single PSL agency. I guess this isn't dissimilar to the Public Sector ones where the same gig is on jobserve 5-10 times but it all goes via Capita.

It looks like this 'exclusive' issue is different. If they are one of many funnelling through then you are in the churn and applying to another could be a problem. Them not representing because they aren't in a position to do so then IMO it's open season. If you do go via a different agency expect a tulipstorm when the original agent does get sorted and comes back to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X