• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracted hours vs being sent home early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracted hours vs being sent home early

I've hit upon an interesting scenario that I think presents an issue.

Client has 40 hour week stipulated in all contracts, however all being well at the end of the week (which is most cases) they allow people to leave 2.5 hours earlier than normal thus contractors are leaving having only done 37.5 hours but invoicing for 5 full days.

Is this acceptable as it's the client who's instructed them to finish early? Or should the contractor work the remaining 2.5 hours to fulfil the contract and differentiate themselves from the employees?

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post

Client has 40 hour week stipulated in all contracts, however all being well at the end of the week (which is most cases) they allow people to leave 2.5 hours earlier than normal thus contractors are leaving having only done 37.5 hours but invoicing for 5 full days.

Is this acceptable as it's the client who's instructed them to finish early? Or should the contractor work the remaining 2.5 hours to fulfil the contract and differentiate themselves from the employees?
    Surely a day rate makes this a moot point, are you on an hourly rate?

Comment

What does your contract say?

Are you direct or through an agent?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Do you have to fill in any timesheets which state how many hours you work each day ? If not, it is not a problem.

Comment

More to the point, are you behaving like/being treated like a permie?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Contract states 40 week (nothing about hours or finish times)
            Agency timesheet and internal timesheet stipulate hours per day (so I've asked and people just put 8 hours for the Friday)
            I'm trying to ensure I operate differently to a permanent employee but the client is keen to treat everyone the same

Comment

Contract states 40 week (nothing about hours or finish times)
              Agency timesheet and internal timesheet stipulate hours per day (so I've asked and people just put 8 hours for the Friday)
              I'm trying to ensure I operate differently to a permanent employee but the client is keen to treat everyone the same
              Sounds like working practices will trump contract.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Sounds like working practices will trump contract.
                Hence my eagerness to differentiate myself around this topic by offering to either work the additional hours regardless or work them across the week so I'm being treated differently.

Comment

Where's the issue? Is the client unhappy?

Acceptable to whom?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Where's the issue? Is the client unhappy?

Acceptable to whom?
                    The client is fine, my concern was really two fold:

1. Is it acceptable as a contractor to invoice for hours not worked because the client told you to finish early - does this become less acceptable if it's done on a regular basis rather than as a one-off?

2. If the contract states 40 hours and the client is regularly telling permies AND contractors to leave early thus making it a 37.5 hours week, are working practices not trumping the contract and thus making it an IR35 issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X