• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 'Test' conundrum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I have no problem giving references directly to clients and I actually have done many times.
    When you're working through an agency, who exactly do you think is your client? Your outlook is all wrong. The agency is contracting you for THEIR client, it's a simple thing that many IT Contractors struggle with. You have NO contract with OUR client.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
      When you're working through an agency, who exactly do you think is your client? Your outlook is all wrong. The agency is contracting you for THEIR client, it's a simple thing that many IT Contractors struggle with. You have NO contract with OUR client.
      OK I'll bite....

Most of you lot say the references are because the client wants them.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        OK I'll bite....

And, you'd (Agent) will presumably be happy with glowing references from my previous clients for e.g. HAYS, Parity because obviously their end client is not my client

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
          And, you'd (Agent) will presumably be happy with glowing references from my previous clients for e.g. HAYS, Parity because obviously their end client is not my client
          Sure, references confirming dates of assignment, job title etc are fine form the last agency. If my client wants references from the end client of your last project then that's what they'll ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            OK I'll bite....

Maybe it is!

Comment

Sure, references confirming dates of assignment, job title etc are fine form the last agency. If my client wants references from the end client of your last project then that's what they'll ask for.
              Which is none of their business, any more than you're at liberty to disclose your margin.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Which is none of their business, any more than you're at liberty to disclose your margin.
                Ha, true, I can disclose my margins if I needed/wanted to (and I do have open margins with some clients) but only if I want the project work. Same goes for references I guess, if you want the work you meet the demands, if you don't then you don't.

Comment

Same goes for references I guess, if you want the work you meet the demands, if you don't then you don't.
                  It depends on whether it's a demand from the client or a sly trick for sales contacts from snake oil agents. I'll be betting it's the latter in a high percentage rate of times. So I'll generally opt for not meeting the demands which won't make an ounce of difference to getting the gig.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    It depends on whether it's a demand from the client or a sly trick for sales contacts from snake oil agents. I'll be betting it's the latter in a high percentage rate of times. So I'll generally opt for not meeting the demands which won't make an ounce of difference to getting the gig.
                    You're probably right, alas the circle of recruitment continues. Like I mentioned in another post - a lead you give up today is a contract you secure tomorrow. You gotta give a little to get some back.

Comment

You're probably right, alas the circle of recruitment continues. Like I mentioned in another post - a lead you give up today is a contract you secure tomorrow. You gotta give a little to get some back.
                      Best if that works both ways I find

Comment

Working...
                      X