• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn recommendations- Do they replace references?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Just got this from a pimp I don't know from Adam

"Hey, What skills do you want to be endorsed for? I’m going around endorsing people for what skills they want highlighted. It helps you with the job search, believe it or not, as HR reps look for these skill sets on LinkedIn. So figure it makes sense for everyone to help each other.
    If you get a sec, could you in turn endorse my profile for ONLY these 5 skills: - Recruiting - Java - Customer Service - Technical Recruiting - Software Development
    Trying to boost these babies to the top. Let me know what you need to be endorsed for."

Jesus wept...
    Case closed. It's the amateur equivalent of facebook likes.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Endorsements are very different to recommendation though.

Totally agree endorsements are useless, I tend to endorse my competitors with all of the dog related skills - dog walking, dog training, dog feeding, dog aggression, Dog Grooming. I'd say about 80% go straight ahead and add them to their profile. Guess it's nice to be endorsed or anything rather than nothing..

Comment

Recommendations on LI are useless. Everyone can make a couple of fake accounts and recommend themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Recommendations on LI are useless. Everyone can make a couple of fake accounts and recommend themselves.
          Having a recommendation from a fake account is very easy to spot, I think everyone agrees that the recommendation has to be from a credible source.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Same here but it's a bloody great tool to spot chances and liars. The number of times I've seen a CV in the last few years that are written to the role spec but LinkedIn has shown it's a complete bag of lies is staggering.
            Spot on! I was hiring down in London and I use to pull up the CV and the LinkedIn profile side by side. I use to spot so many mistakes and gaps. The Permie Manager seen this as a stroke of genius whilst I seen it as common sense. It was always a fun question... so you said here on your CV that "xxxxxx" but on your LinkedIn it says "xxxxxxx", can you explain why? It was always fun to see the reaction

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
              Spot on! I was hiring down in London and I use to pull up the CV and the LinkedIn profile side by side. I use to spot so many mistakes and gaps. The Permie Manager seen this as a stroke of genius whilst I seen it as common sense. It was always a fun question... so you said here on your CV that "xxxxxx" but on your LinkedIn it says "xxxxxxx", can you explain why? It was always fun to see the reaction
              That's why I don't put much detail in my Linkedin profile other than the roles undertaken and when, not that I have anything to be inconsistent about I should add. I mainly don't want my career history details to be so freely available.

Needless to say my multiple recommendations are included, although not so fussed about endorsements...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
                Having a recommendation from a fake account is very easy to spot, I think everyone agrees that the recommendation has to be from a credible source.
                No it's not, years a go I had a fake account with over 200 connections. As a test I created an account as CTO of a fake company and used my gmail's address book to invite contacts which contains hundreds of agents. Almost without exception they all accepted and my account looked credible.

Comment

They don't replace references but they are a nice addition.

They are just as reliable as references though - ie not at all.

It's sometimes amazing to have a browse through linkedin profiles and see some of the recommendations. People who were just terrible getting glowing recommendations for skills that they just weren't very good at.

Comment

I'd imagine that "Recommendations" on linked in carry more weight than "endorsements" but I cant see them taking over from a proper reference.

With regards to endorsements I listed one of my skills as "Goat Herding" to see if anyone would notice... Ive been endorsed for it a few times now - this suggests the endorsements for my legitimate skills are equally tulip.

Comment

Proper references are a thing of the past. I'd imagine that is at least partly down to the agency "two references" trick meaning that hiring managers were getting bombarded with calls and partly them triggering hostility to the leaver or vice versa - glowing references for those they were happy to get rid of and "gosh, no, he's shocking" for those that they want to keep.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X