• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help needed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed!

Hi,

I recently signed a 6 month lease based on a secured contract which was signed for 6 months. 3 Months into the contract the client decided to give a few contracts notice (a month) and the reason was that there is little work left - they are keeping on a few other contractors as apparently they are cheaper. This was quite shocking to me as did not see this coming and the fact that I signed a 6 month lease based on a 6 month contract.

A few weeks after that I received a call from my agency who informed me that HR has received a complaint from the manager that the contractors through this agency have been discussing rates with other contracts and this is causing unnecessary disruption amongst the team. As far as I know I haven't specifically gone to others and discussed rates, if there was any rate discussion that was a 2 way conversation from that other person too. Is is common to be giving a warning through HR to your agency for the discussion of rates? My experience to date is that many contractors do discuss rates.

Furthermore, a week after this myself and a couple of other contractors were terminated on the spot - walked out of the building...told to leave our laptops there and passes to be handed back. The reason given for this was, a lack of motivation, late-coming and `contractual obligations` not being met. I have never been late and to target me for others late coming is unfair. I still do not know what contractual obligations actually means and what I have actually done. It is all very vague. Not only was this embarrassing to be walked out like this but this has caused emotional stress and could impact upon my reputation also. My fellow contractor tried to call the manager to ask the reasons why this was done and he simply said `speak to your agency` and hung up. How rude and very unprofessional.

Do I have any rights or can I challenge this? I only had little time remaining in my notice period and was hoping to at least complete that but they got me out asap and I am still in the dark as to specifically what I did. Would I be able to claim for at least the remainder of the notice period?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Originally posted by Vanessa25 View Post
    Hi,

I recently signed a 6 month lease based on a secured contract which was signed for 6 months. 3 Months into the contract the client decided to give a few contracts notice (a month) and the reason was that there is little work left - they are keeping on a few other contractors as apparently they are cheaper. This was quite shocking to me as did not see this coming and the fact that I signed a 6 month lease based on a 6 month contract.

A few weeks after that I received a call from my agency who informed me that HR has received a complaint from the manager that the contractors through this agency have been discussing rates with other contracts and this is causing unnecessary disruption amongst the team. As far as I know I haven't specifically gone to others and discussed rates, if there was any rate discussion that was a 2 way conversation from that other person too. Is is common to be giving a warning through HR to your agency for the discussion of rates? My experience to date is that many contractors do discuss rates.

Furthermore, a week after this myself and a couple of other contractors were terminated on the spot - walked out of the building...told to leave our laptops there and passes to be handed back. The reason given for this was, a lack of motivation, late-coming and `contractual obligations` not being met. I have never been late and to target me for others late coming is unfair. I still do not know what contractual obligations actually means and what I have actually done. It is all very vague. Not only was this embarrassing to be walked out like this but this has caused emotional stress and could impact upon my reputation also. My fellow contractor tried to call the manager to ask the reasons why this was done and he simply said `speak to your agency` and hung up. How rude and very unprofessional.

Do I have any rights or can I challenge this? I only had little time remaining in my notice period and was hoping to at least complete that but they got me out asap and I am still in the dark as to specifically what I did. Would I be able to claim for at least the remainder of the notice period?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Sounds like they were just trying to get rid, nasty.

Sometimes they work out badly, my advice is to move on.
    By all means, speak to the agency if that will help bring the closure.

Discussing rates is a big, no no BTW, unless you are mixing with contractors who may be helping you get a role i.e. friends
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Do I have any rights
      No.

Move on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        No.

Move on.
        Can someone explain why I have no rights and cannot challenge this unfair treatment?

Comment

As a contractor there is no obligation for your end client to provide you with work, nor is there any obligation for you to accept it.

That is why they can serve you notice and asked you to leave. You have to understand that it's not personal no matter how much it feels that it is, to calm down and start looking for something new
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Vanessa. 6 months lease to cover six month gig. Bad bad ideas as you know realise.

Only time I'd ever do this is if I could get it so cheap it'd be worth gamble. I never used to buy a monthly train season ticket in the past just in case (until I found out if was just £10 to cancel it and get a pro-rata refund).

Discussing rates. Never ever ever.

Not sure why you got walked. Possibly you wound them up a little with the rate thing but sounds like it was just an easy way to get rid of you with no hassle and without the notice period. Unfortunately, you're not the first and won't be the last.

Nothing you can do. Look for new gig, possibly in same area unless you get out of that lease.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

In addition, I would crack on with finding another role, rather than mounting a legal challenge, that is unlikely to succeed.

Looking at your post it looks like you were given a "few" weeks notice, in any case.
              I have seen quite a few contractors walked offsite, on a particular day, i.e. not given any notice at all.

Part and parcel of what we do.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Can someone explain why I have no rights and cannot challenge this unfair treatment?
                Because they can make any old crap up or say, in their opinion, you weren't up to the job. Its too easy for them.

It happens to permies (happened to me once - company couldnt be arsed to follow redundancy procedure) so you can bet contractors are going to get this at times.

Not a nice thing to do I'll agree but clients will do it.

Honestly, best to leave it. You "might" get some feedback from the agent but hes probably onto his next gig by now and trying to forget the commision hes lost on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  In addition, I would crack on with finding another role, rather than mounting a legal challenge, that is unlikely to succeed.

Looking at your post it looks like you were given a "few" weeks notice, in any case.
                  I have seen quite a few contractors walked offsite, on a particular day, i.e. not given any notice at all.

Part and parcel of what we do.
                  Didn't read this bit. Easy way for client to skim off a few weeks then - job done.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Didn't read this bit. Easy way for client to skim off a few weeks then - job done.
                    I don't see anywhere where she hasn't or is having trouble getting payment, she worked a "few" weeks notice out

A few is always more than 2, therefore, I suggest she was given at least 3 weeks notice, by the client.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X