• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When the client is not the client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Would that trump Agency regs though?
    Erm, I'll probably get this wrong and I should have searched but I thought if you had the correct opt status then the clause is invalid, like the handcuff clause for example. I'd have to check that though.

EDIT : OK I folded and did a search.

“Should Andrew not opt out of the conduct regs before he is introduced to the end-client, then the conduct regs will apply, and will override anything inconsistent in the contract,” says Sinclair. “Under the terms of the legislation, Andrew’s friend may not delay paying him until the end client pays. If his friend fails to pay, the terms of the late payment act may also apply.
    EDIT 2 : Agents are so bad at understanding the opt in/out situation it isn't a golden bullet. You are going to be in for a fight if they don't want to pay. I don't believe there is any case law over this yet. Hopefully that's because they are held bang to rights and it never goes that far. Leaving the term in and relying on your opt in status isn't ideal.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 October 2018, 21:44.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Erm, I'll probably get this wrong and I should have searched but I thought if you had the correct opt status then the clause is invalid, like the handcuff clause for example. I'd have to check that though.

EDIT : OK I folded and did a search.

EDIT 2 : Agents are so bad at understanding the opt in/out situation it isn't a golden bullet. You are going to be in for a fight if they don't want to pay. I don't believe there is any case law over this yet. Hopefully that's because they are held bang to rights and it never goes that far. Leaving the term in and relying on your opt in status isn't ideal.
      My guess is that a solicitor's letter stating that the clause was not been correctly implemented (prove otherwise) results in most agencies paying up....

I also suspect that not many people actually have problems that end up with the client not paying and those that do end up in that position are so bad that they don't bother chasing...
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 October 2018, 21:44.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'd agree with both of those.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          My guess is that a solicitor's letter stating that the clause was not been correctly implemented (prove otherwise) results in most agencies paying up....

I also suspect that not many people actually have problems that end up with the client not paying and those that do end up in that position are so bad that they don't bother chasing...
          If the end client was a multi billion pound constituent of the FTSE 100 I would say there is no problem too great that couldn't be sorted out, but seeing as its a 18 month old "consultancy" with more liabilities than assets I think I am right to be a little more cautious.

Just send an email back saying

Obviously this adds a small extra degree of risk given the relatively young age of the company, this means I will not be opting out of the The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Business Regulations 2003
          If it put's their hackles up I know it could be problematic and will continue the other irons in the fire still, if they brush it off as no worries I am happy to continue
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If the end client was a multi billion pound constituent of the FTSE 100 I would say there is no problem too great that couldn't be sorted out, but seeing as its a 18 month old "consultancy" with more liabilities than assets I think I am right to be a little more cautious.

Just send an email back saying

If it put's their hackles up I know it could be problematic and will continue the other irons in the fire still, if they brush it off as no worries I am happy to continue
            You probably were not opted out anyway - I've never seen an agency do it correctly....

Comment

You probably were not opted out anyway - I've never seen an agency do it correctly....
              I know I wasn't, just wanted to put it in an email that can be referred to later #JustInCase

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I know I wasn't, just wanted to put it in an email that can be referred to later #JustInCase
                Nope I think now they will just bin you off... All you can do is wait and see....

Comment

From what I understand, you are inside the agency regs. You have been introduced, interviewed, offered. The only thing you haven't done is have a quickie with the CEO. Asking you to opt out now should be irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    From what I understand, you are inside the agency regs. You have been introduced, interviewed, offered. The only thing you haven't done is have a quickie with the CEO. Asking you to opt out now should be irrelevant.
                    Hes just a bit shy

Agree on your other points, however.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Nope I think now they will just bin you off... All you can do is wait and see....
                      See my post earlier!

Comment

Working...
                      X