• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you get new contracts...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    I reported recently that jobs are 20% down but applicants are 20% up. That cuts your chances by a third.

If you are an inexperienced PM your chances were low already. This doesn't help.

So basically it looks like I am buggered at present! Applied for 4 roles last week on Jobserve. No responses. Last call I had from an agent was almost 3 weeks ago - and that was just an enquiry as to what I was looking for exactly.
    Refreshed my CV on sites this morning. Looks like another long week ahead.....

Comment

Originally posted by Newbe View Post
      So basically it looks like I am buggered at present! Applied for 4 roles last week on Jobserve. No responses. Last call I had from an agent was almost 3 weeks ago - and that was just an enquiry as to what I was looking for exactly.
      Refreshed my CV on sites this morning. Looks like another long week ahead.....
      You're doing something wrong. Even on dry weeks i was getting at least few calls a DAY

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        You're doing something wrong. Even on dry weeks i was getting at least few calls a DAY
        That's not the feedback I get from a lot of colleagues and even if you did how many of them were actually any use? I used to have my HNC Electrical Engineer on my CV back in the perm days and every so often I still get calls about Electrical work 7 years later. Getting a call does not indicate there is work out there for you in many cases. Maybe you are just lucky.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That's not the feedback I get from a lot of colleagues and even if you did how many of them were actually any use? I used to have my HNC Electrical Engineer on my CV back in the perm days and every so often I still get calls about Electrical work 7 years later. Getting a call does not indicate there is work out there for you in many cases. Maybe you are just lucky.
          maybe 5% but that's not the point. The point is - is there actual demand for your area? because if there is, then you would get constant calls at least trying to fish some details so they can make money. Noone is calling this chap, which makes me think, why

Comment

maybe 5% but that's not the point. The point is - is there actual demand for your area? because if there is, then you would get constant calls at least trying to fish some details so they can make money. Noone is calling this chap, which makes me think, why
            I guess there is that. I don't get calls either but do get the odd email, normally for perm. When I'm looking my CV is out there, being refreshed on the sites, mass mailed round to every pimp I've ever had contact me and the like. There are gigs on Jobswerve though. I guess to some extent it depends on what you do as well as what the market appears to be like. Hard to say really but I don't think you can generalise 'the market' or 'I get calls so should you'. Being a newbie certainly won't help though.

Comment

1. look in wider area (even nationally)
              2. call agents and ask them about your area of expertise
              3. call agents and ask them to review your cv
              4. suck it up and go perm and look for a gig while on probabtion

Comment

You need to register with TPS to stop those nuisance calls....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  You need to register with TPS to stop those nuisance calls....
                  Nah when i changed the number ( 077777777 or similar now ) I kinda missed them. Nothing brings more joy than ignoring calls from morons

Comment

The calls from your Mum and girlfriend don't count.

HTH
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      The calls from your Mum and girlfriend don't count.

HTH
                      That's quite an assumption.

Comment

Working...
                      X