• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you get new contracts...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Guy I am in the new gig with showed me a graph from itjobswatch and there has been a 20% drop in both permy/contract jobs in my field (SQL DBA). I was wondering why nothing was happening, really thought my cv had stopped working but agents were telling him there's now more and more people applying for same job, after the first 10-20 CVs they stop looking.

Saying that I've also been asked for some project work direct with a new client direct so swings and roundabouts.

qh
    Itjobswatch is just a scraper I believe so is skewed by fake job ads and multiple ads for the same role so it's a very rough indicator at best but 20% does seem big enough swing to assume something is going on.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      20% does seem big enough swing to assume something is going on.
      It does when you add on the 20% extra people looking.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        It does when you add on the 20% extra people looking.
        Eh?

Comment

Problem is that permie salaries have not increased in 10 odd years, its still 40k ish for a senior dev role outside of London, that's why every bugger is going contracting (and why people keep banging on about a skills shortage!)

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            Guy I am in the new gig with showed me a graph from itjobswatch and there has been a 20% drop in both permy/contract jobs in my field (SQL DBA). I was wondering why nothing was happening, really thought my cv had stopped working but agents were telling him there's now more and more people applying for same job, after the first 10-20 CVs they stop looking at them.

Saying that I've also been asked for some project work direct with a new client direct so swings and roundabouts.

qh
            My 3 current live ones are all direct, but moving very, very, slowly.

I have a couple of agents I have used for many years, they say it has been slow all year. As far as London based FS contracts go, these guys get wind of pretty much everything going.

Doomed!
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Jobserve, linkedIn, and talking to people.

This week, I've had a few agents ringing me to see what my availability is like, but I'm not looking until after the summer at least. If anyone knows anything about Oracle CRM, there's a hot one around at the moment that it looks like people are struggling to resource - three agents in the past two days have asked me if I want to jack this one in and do that instead.

Comment

Linked - I get contacted atleast once a week

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                  Linked - I get contacted atleast once a week
                  Which proves what?

Comment

Originally posted by Newbe View Post
                    Someone told me never to chase agencies, as they will contact you if they think you are suitable to be put forward for a role.
                    Depends on the relationship between the agency and yourself. In my experience it has been very valuable to hold on to agents (not the agencies they work for at the moment) who have managed to get you a good role before. You know they can find you stuff; they know they can get you placed. Kerching!

Many recruiters change agencies almost as often as contractors do. Stay with them, if you hear they are moving on into a similar role elsewhere. It'll pay off when you next search for a contract.
                    Also, if you are in a contract, join in on after work pub visits and ask around which agencies got people into the job (doesn't matter if for perm; many agencies do both). Might give you a lead or even a referral to useful agencies and agents (there are so many rubbish agencies out there, it's shocking, and you don't want to be wasting your time with them!)

Job boards are hit and miss. You can be lucky. LinkedIn is 95% waste of time (too many desperate agents there, who don't even read your profile or CV). What LinkedIn IS good for is to get endorsements from co-workers and managers for everybody to see.

Everybody's mileage may and will vary, but personal contacts with agents (have a beer or coffee with them if they are any good!) are most important.

Of course none of this helps if you are currently looking to kick-start your contracting career. But it will help in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Eh?
                      I reported recently that jobs are 20% down but applicants are 20% up. That cuts your chances by a third.

If you are an inexperienced PM your chances were low already. This doesn't help.
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X