• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't to blow my own trumpet as it might just be luck of the draw so far but I haven't had an inside contract yet. Does it vary from sector to sector?

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      This isn't to blow my own trumpet as it might just be luck of the draw so far but I haven't had an inside contract yet. Does it vary from sector to sector?
      Definitely. Pharma, banks, regulated industries in general are all mostly inside now, unless you're at the top end of niche, and even then it's hard to get exceptions. The other big difference is UK clients vs. overseas. Overseas clients will be mostly Chapter 8 (old) IR35 unless there's a UK branch. I've always preferred overseas clients, but I don't bother with UK clients anymore.

Comment

( And when I say inside IR35, I mean umbrella, primarily, so no IR35 determination at all - bypassing altogether is the only sane way for clients to handle it. )

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          ( And when I say inside IR35, I mean umbrella, primarily, so no IR35 determination at all - bypassing altogether is the only sane way for clients to handle it. )
          And that's the thing people forget - the reason most firms put everyone inside is because IR35 is a two way thing and it's incredibly easy for lower level management to do things that bring (in HMRC eyes) the contract inside IR35 - so why take the risk.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Definitely. Pharma, banks, regulated industries in general are all mostly inside now, unless you're at the top end of niche, and even then it's hard to get exceptions. The other big difference is UK clients vs. overseas. Overseas clients will be mostly Chapter 8 (old) IR35 unless there's a UK branch. I've always preferred overseas clients, but I don't bother with UK clients anymore.
            I think you're right. I managed to get three outside gigs in pharma and banks, the first two with no industry experience, up until only four years ago. Now it's very difficult on both fronts.

From my experience, one highly regulated sector where it is still possible to get outside gigs, even with no sector experience, is local government. Even there it's more difficult on both fronts again.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I think you're right. I managed to get three outside gigs in pharma and banks, the first two with no industry experience, up until only four years ago. Now it's very difficult on both fronts.

From my experience, one highly regulated sector where it is still possible to get outside gigs, even with no sector experience, is local government. Even there it's more difficult on both fronts again.
              When the clients became liable for determination AFAIK every bank went blanket inside, no exceptions. I've known instances of very well connected contractors being refused an exception. The bank just wouldn't budge and after months of negotiation they compromised on a FTC salary well outside the salary range for the grade.

You can't really blame them tbh, I think eek is right in that the way large companies are set up they just don't have the discipline structure or capability to ensure middle managers understand IR35 and don't **** it up. This was evident to anyone who worked for a bank in the outside days where managers thought 'Well they have a different employee ID and don't get their christmas lunch paid for, ergo they aren't employees!'.

Comment

Now clients are on the hook there are no outside roles….or v v few!

It is game over unfortunately 😞

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post

In banking I'm struggling to see any contracts that beat salary. They pretty much price the contracts at the total cost of a perm for that role. Minimal danger pay. Doesn't really make sense in the current market to contract.

Comment

After saying never am looking at perm roles and FTC’s as quite a few of them about…the hurdle though is going from a v long term contractor to perm they don’t like it …been told that a lot oh we don’t want ex contractors 😕!

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post

As I said, that is not my experience (which isn't to say it won't be eventually).

Comment

Working...
                      X