• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can bring an artist in for £8.41 an hour. Because famously there are next to no unemployed artists in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Was chatting last night to an old friend in Silicon Valley who's originally from the UK. He's at the leading edge of thinking in AI and paints a worrying picture of national technology capabilities in the UK and Europe in the coming decade and the impact on wealth creation and jobs.

I tend to agree with him. I think we'll see the USA continue to dominate with China maybe not too far behind and Europe will be laggards.

Even today, I struggle to think of many notable successful UK tech companies that started within the last 10 years. A smaller pool of highly educated/capable people, lack of business investment, lack of investment in training and development, poor infrastructure, the list goes on.

Whilst the market may pick up in the next year or two, I think the long term potential for high paying jobs is going to be a lot worse in the 2030s.
      https://www.ft.com/content/570d23b3-...9-b49cc4056f52

Article from FT (paywall) shows how shortchanged UK Grads are.
      US has a shortage of grads while we have a shortage of grad jobs - and no wonder with that visa list.

Big Business has been hollowing out the UK skills base for years. It's now in terminal mode.

Things may improve a little - but there doesn't seem to be any politician even aware of these issues let alone planning to fix them.
      ​​

Comment

Have a couple of years left on the mortgage. After that will try and find a local permit job to see me into retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

I have just left a contract where over half the team were from India (as opposed to British Indian) including the Test Manager. Nothing against those people as they are legally here but and the same time there are British born Testing Contractors out of work at the moment, including me.

From memory people didn't have much choice but to sit at home but I do agree the main problem at the moment is projects aren't getting started and when they are they are cut back at the first sign of difficulty.
          I had a similar contract.
          They had about 15 testers, all from India.
          Every time they found something that "didn't work" they would raise a bug. No investigation, no root cause analysis, just raise a bug and assign to one of the BAs.
          Just randomly bash in source data and hope for the best.
          So we end up with about 80 bugs which are not actually bugs.

Comment

Have a couple of years left on the mortgage. After that will try and find a local permit job to see me into retirement.
            I'll be hanging up my contracting keyboard in the next 2-3 years too. It will be 20 years I've been doing this in February next year.

Rent the UK place out and move to the sun. Mortgage on that place will be coming to a close. Write my own software at my leisure. I have a few ideas.

I've had a good innings at this but I feel for those of you just starting out or in mid-stride.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

I'll be hanging up my contracting keyboard in the next 2-3 years too. It will be 20 years I've been doing this in February next year.

Rent the UK place out and move to the sun. Mortgage on that place will be coming to a close. Write my own software at my leisure. I have a few ideas.

I've had a good innings at this but I feel for those of you just starting out or in mid-stride.

​​​​​​Sounds like a good plan!

Only thing is that the only people making money in UK are pensioners renting out properties, not people actually working.

You're just switching sides!

Comment

You can bring an artist in for £8.41 an hour. Because famously there are next to no unemployed artists in this country.
                Right, I mean some of those can be justified, but artist as a shortage occupation, FFS

Comment

Originally posted by hildaoblivion View Post

​​​​​​Sounds like a good plan!

Only thing is that the only people making money in UK are pensioners renting out properties, not people actually working.

You're just switching sides!
                  Been working for over 40 years now. It's time to join the other side!

Comment

Not even sure it's immigration to blame. Probably more the high taxation that the UK employs to cooperates and individuals.

If you are a talented developer with an Oxbridge education, why would you want to stay in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

I had a similar contract.
                      They had about 15 testers, all from India.
                      Every time they found something that "didn't work" they would raise a bug. No investigation, no root cause analysis, just raise a bug and assign to one of the BAs.
                      Just randomly bash in source data and hope for the best.
                      So we end up with about 80 bugs which are not actually bugs.
                      To be fair they were actually quite good at what they did and I don’t have a problem with them as individuals but you now have a lot of contractors and permanent staff who were given work permits in better economic times and have been here so long they have a right to remain.

Comment

Working...
                      X