• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

You need to read more.
    You're better than that.

My understanding was that IR35 status is determined by the client and they bear the liability if they are wrong. There is no means to shift that liability.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
      My understanding was that IR35 status is determined by the client and they bear the liability if they are wrong. There is no means to shift that liability.
      Take a look at this discussion:
      Be careful if you take Outside IR35 contracts - Contractor UK Bulletin Board

In general, the client is responsible for the SDS but the fee payer is liable if that determination is wrong. The fee payer could be the client (if you go direct) or an agency. If it's an agency, they don't want to be stuck with the bill, so that's why they often put "clawback clauses" into the contract which would make the contractor's company liable; whether those clauses are enforceable is another question.
      EDIT: Also, if it's a small client then the contractor is responsible for the SDS (and liable if it's wrong).

However, this is all going a bit off-topic for this thread.
      Last edited by hobnob; 19 November 2023, 10:40.

Comment

You're better than that.

As I said, you need to pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

As I said, you need to pay attention.
          Your posts are usually informative and intelligent, but in this instance they seem entirely unconstructive and unhelpful. It would have been just as useful, and probably reflected better on you, if you'd just said nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Your posts are usually informative and intelligent, but in this instance they seem entirely unconstructive and unhelpful. It would have been just as useful, and probably reflected better on you, if you'd just said nothing.
            JKS is an irritating sockie and not worth the time of day.

Comment

​​​​​​

You can't fight the market or the Government for that matter. The Government is steadfast in wanting everyone on payroll and the market is reacting to that.
              Yes, you can only do what's under your control and sometimes hope dies last but logic says otherwise. I can move out of the country though since I can find a permanent job anywhere in Europe but I'm not sure starting over from somewhere else is the best option as well.

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
              The government had got its way the contractor market is over.

No outside roles to be had. Inside isn’t great may as well be perm with the benefits.

I fear my contracting days are over and have to go perm if I can get perm work!

Feels very gloomy😞.
              If we're targeting contracts within IR35 due to the scarcity of those outside IR35, we can't simply take any contract that comes our way. We need to strategically use the experience gained in these inside IR35 roles to aim for similar positions, which is equally challenging.

Last edited by andromedan; 19 November 2023, 18:38.

Comment

Started looking this week and have never known it so quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  The niche I have just left, Workday, is now 98% inside gigs. You need to be very niche in that niche to even get anyone talking about outside gigs.

I have given up and gone perm.
                  Really? I've done Workday related gigs in the recent past and all have been outside. Jobserve returns three Workday contracts posted in the last three days and all are advertised as outside. If I had to guess it generally seems to be a 50/50 split

Comment

I haven't been contacted by a recruiter for weeks. Very unusual.

Comment

Just had a recuriter call me. Asked me if I would be interested in a inside £424 role.

My gosh, the state of the market and it's a race to the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                      X