• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    I do wonder if anyone here actually contracts in central London on a regular basis that does not live in London.

If anything Gigibronz has underestimated the cost for a room in central london.

How do I know this? because I contract in Central London and use premier inn quite a bit.

Standard rate is about 220 per week-day night for Premier Inn and I pay that on a regular basis. Why? Because its the going rate for a decent room with a decent bed.
    I worked with a contractor who was so tight he would ask if he could sleep on the floor of hotel rooms booked by other contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I worked with a contractor who was so tight he would ask if he could sleep on the floor of hotel rooms booked by other contractors.

TBF to NLUK, he only does this when the broom cupboard is taken.

Comment

I have certainly commuted daily to London from the Sussex coast in the past and while it isn't as common as it was pre-Covid, apparently 33% of the UK population live within 100km of London and 20% within 50km.

Most of them will go home at night and come back in the morning and would swallow commuting costs in an Inside IR35 contract.

Fully appreciate that is harsh on contractors who live further away not being able to expense hotel bills but it is still a fairly large talent pool to draw from.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Before I was there but they was a contractor at a previous client who always seemed to be first in and last out of the office. About a month in they realised he was sleeping there.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

TBF to NLUK, he only does this when the broom cupboard is taken.
            I thought he slept on his accountant's floor (after asking him/her first, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I thought he slept on his accountant's floor (after asking him/her first, of course).
              I heard he slept outside to mitigate risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I think his manager tells him where and when to sleep, and how to do it.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Fully appreciate that is harsh on contractors who live further away not being able to expense hotel bills but it is still a fairly large talent pool to draw from.
                  No it isn't. They chose to live somewhere cheap and the reason it is cheap is because there is less access to well paid work.

Comment

Before I was there but they was a contractor at a previous client who always seemed to be first in and last out of the office. About a month in they realised he was sleeping there.
                    I used to work with a guy who had his camper van parked in the company car park, and lived in it. The client didnt mind. I thought it was cool.

In another place I worked with a guy who was commuting from one end of the country to the other in his private plane. That too was cool. He offered me a ride in it, I should have taken him up on it.

Comment

I have certainly commuted daily to London from the Sussex coast in the past and while it isn't as common as it was pre-Covid, apparently 33% of the UK population live within 100km of London and 20% within 50km.

Most of them will go home at night and come back in the morning and would swallow commuting costs in an Inside IR35 contract.
                      Another useless statistic that helps nobody, if you live within 50km of London and it is not a tuliphole, your rent / mortgage would be through the roof anyway. You are a slave to the bank / landlord and would be forced to work all year around to cover the dues to the master.

this discussion was about bizniz people doing bizniz not people living paycheque to paycheque and trying to find mental excuses for their condition.

same with people talking about “being in the 1-2% while earning 100k.
                      bitch please, you live month to month and all you can afford after working 1 year is a ugly french car on finance.

Comment

Working...
                      X