• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    no just cheaper talent

as the people in the outsourcers brought in from abroad who have gained indefinte leave to remain or British passports slowly leave they clog up the rest of the market with their cheap rates
    This is the main reason why so few infrastructure & support contracts anymore there is vast pool of just above minimum wage IT import workers ready & willing to jump into the bottom feeder pool!

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
      I was placed by them last year
      (lafosse)

Same. Process was straight forward, renewals have been brought up 3-4 weeks ahead each time. Paid 8-10th each month. No issues from my side.

Comment

'Staggering' trade in fake degrees revealed - BBC News
        "Axact, which claims to be the "world's largest IT company", operates a network of hundreds of fake online universities run by agents from a Karachi call centre."

Yet another sad reason why the IT Contract market is going the way it is!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
          'Staggering' trade in fake degrees revealed - BBC News
          "Axact, which claims to be the "world's largest IT company", operates a network of hundreds of fake online universities run by agents from a Karachi call centre."

Yet another sad reason why the IT Contract market is going the way it is!
          TBF, when I was contracting pre retirement, one of my colleagues said he had on his cv that he has a computer science degree, but, tapping his nose, he said he didnt have one.

He said no one had every checked on it or asked to see the piece of paper despite working in some big financial institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
            TBF, when I was contracting pre retirement, one of my colleagues said he had on his cv that he has a computer science degree, but, tapping his nose, he said he didnt have one.

He said no one had every checked on it or asked to see the piece of paper despite working in some big financial institutions.
            So the mugs are the ones buying a fake degree.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

In a long long multiple decade of work and tens and tens of roles, both permie and contract, I have only ever been asked for education certificates twice, although granted my first trainee role they had a reference from college so that would have covered it

I did once work alongside someone who claimed a Computing degree, but the big boss eventually recognised him from his own college days when they both did arts courses and he got kicked out shortly after

Comment

Financial institutions check them nowadays indepth but I doubt they check existing bogus employee qualifications!! So lots of people sitting in these jobs still. Glad I am also close to retirement most IT jobs will be gone within 5 years. Automation, Cloud, Outsourcing & AI will take most IT roles away.

Comment

I had a contract at Bar Cap a few years ago. Part of the on boarding meant I had to let them see my actual degree certificate - It was framed and on the wall at my folks in Ireland.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    I had a contract at Bar Cap a few years ago. Part of the on boarding meant I had to let them see my actual degree certificate - It was framed and on the wall at my folks in Ireland.
                    That makes me laugh a bit as I came across so many cowboys there who clearly did not have much technical knowledge yet sat in well paid IT roles being professionally obstructive all day for a living it seemed!! Yet contractors had to prove everything & do all the work! no wonder they are scrambling to rehire decent perms now after culling all the wrong people in the last few years. They made some very strong people redundant & kept all the deadwood it seems!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                      Financial institutions check them nowadays indepth but I doubt they check existing bogus employee qualifications!! So lots of people sitting in these jobs still. Glad I am also close to retirement most IT jobs will be gone within 5 years. Automation, Cloud, Outsourcing & AI will take most IT roles away.
                      +1
                      Was asked to bring in degree cert to a large financial insitution (not a bank) before I started there as a permie.

Comment

Working...
                      X