• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post

My daughter has a tutor and I have no idea actually if we pay VAT or not. Wife looks after it. But if they now have to charge VAT as well (I thought they already did - maybe wrong) then so be it.
    As usual, this depends on the business supplying your tutor. If they are registered for VAT then you will pay it, if not then you won't.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

That's the crux of the issue, mnay parents give up that list and more to get their kids a decent education simply because they value education more than than others and are prepared to make those sacrifices.
      Rubbish.

There are plenty of parents who value education and can't afford private schools. Their sacrifice is devoting their time to help them achieve the best they can.

People send their kids to private school because they think they are buying them a place at the top table.

If they are struggling to find an extra 20% of VAT then they were never welcome there in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

What about them? Have their parents given up drinking, smoking, tattoos, takeaways to donate to their school? Let me know when they do, then we'll talk about how such children are my responsibility.
        When you're a retired old misery instead of a working one, and spending your days watching Gbeebies and writing angry red-faced comments on the Daily Mail website articles, "such children" will be the ones still working and paying tax so that all the services and infrastructure you'll continue to rely on, but complain incessantly about, can be provided to you. Hope that helps answer your question, given that you seem to lack the most basic understanding of how a society functions.

Comment

Bearing in mind private schools can also claim VAT back on bills, I would question why they all seem to be passing the whole 20% to the parents.

Comment

I paid my university course fees through my tax code ~2004 IIRC. It saved me a further 25%. Very sure this is now not possible.

Clearly the children of parents who can afford the £60k per year for Eton would have companies setup to reduce tax burden.

It's the foreign money that they are trying to attract, although charging locals for existing infrastructure has always been a good earner.

I did read somewhere that the government wants to introduce a charge for the A5 flyover staples corner. The poor people will have to use the roundabout underneath.

Comment

Working...
            X