• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    This is truly terrible:

Lead Test Analyst

6m inside IR35

Remote, with occasional site visits (South Wales)

£160pd rate (Umbrella)

The rates are compressed due to NHS budget availability. The role needs a site visit to collect and return your IT equipment.

You’ll be required to work on a full-time basis between the hours of 8am – 6pm, Monday to Friday, 7.5 hours per day, 37.5 hours per week (Start/end times will be confirmed on day 1 of the contract). The successful candidate must work solely for the client during the hours stated above.

I know these things aren't entirely accurate but on-line calculator tells me this is the equivalent of about a 28k a year permanent job without the benefits and with line management responsibilities.
    The NHS have form for this. Last summer they had a PM role on PSR which (after being shortlisted) I was told pays £240/day inside! The recruiter that I spoke to was quite apologetic as she herself had got me the exact same kind of role in a public sector dept for more than double that day-rate 6-7 months earlier.

When I asked her how do they get decent candidates at these rates she said NHS roles attract a lot more applications than normal PS roles, for whatever reason. And the budget is set in stone and derived from perm pay bands so there's no movement on that.
    Last edited by sreed; Yesterday, 17:03.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      This is truly terrible:

Lead Test Analyst

6m inside IR35

Remote, with occasional site visits (South Wales)

£160pd rate (Umbrella)

The rates are compressed due to NHS budget availability. The role needs a site visit to collect and return your IT equipment.

You’ll be required to work on a full-time basis between the hours of 8am – 6pm, Monday to Friday, 7.5 hours per day, 37.5 hours per week (Start/end times will be confirmed on day 1 of the contract). The successful candidate must work solely for the client during the hours stated above.

I know these things aren't entirely accurate but on-line calculator tells me this is the equivalent of about a 28k a year permanent job without the benefits and with line management responsibilities.
      8am-6pm is 10 hours. Maybe that is just the core hours period during which your 7.5 hours of work must take place.

My wife works for the NHS. Recently she had a student doing a work placement. The student looked up their own medical records and they kicked them out because of it. What a daft system! Just get the access controls right so that you cannot look up your own records if that is not allowed. Instead they built a system that detects if you do look them up and reports you!

if user.id == record.id then
      raise access exception

not

log security breach

£160pd - they will get what they paid for (and it will cost them more than if they paid for it properly in the first place).

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post

8am-6pm is 10 hours. Maybe that is just the core hours period during which your 7.5 hours of work must take place.

My wife works for the NHS. Recently she had a student doing a work placement. The student looked up their own medical records and they kicked them out because of it. What a daft system! Just get the access controls right so that you cannot look up your own records if that is not allowed. Instead they built a system that detects if you do look them up and reports you!

raise access exception

not

log security breach

£160pd - they will get what they paid for (and it will cost them more than if they paid for it properly in the first place).
        People have a legal right to see their own records, so it is a crazy policy.

Things would have be be pretty desperate to work for £160pd. Less than Tesco pays to stack shelves, I would suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

People have a legal right to see their own records, so it is a crazy policy.

Things would have be be pretty desperate to work for £160pd. Less than Tesco pays to stack shelves, I would suspect.
          £160/day inside through an umbrella is (as per Paystream's calculator) £2,478/month net which grosses up to an annual PAYE salary of £36,409 on a standard tax code with no deductions. If you adjust for 5 weeks annual leave that goes down to 33k.

Tesco store colleague pay starts at £12.02/hour (outside London) which for a 40 hour week adds up to almost exactly a 25k annual salary. Add on pension contributions (match up to 7.5%) you can bump it up to just shy of 27k.

Pretty close tbh, though I'd still pick a desk-based remote job over one that requires your physical presence 100% of the time.

Comment

Working...
          X