• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My four month extension arrived and turned out to be a three week extension instead.

My boss spoke about wanting me to take the three month cool off period and re-engage when we discussed renewal. I would rather take three months off over summer/autumn than over Xmas so hopefully re-engagement is still on the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzieExpat View Post
      if you are a white male then then you will be discriminated against
      Interesting claim, do you have any non-anecdotal evidence for this?

My experience differs - I'm a white, middle-aged male and, to my knowledge, have never been discriminated against, nor have I ever worked for a company where I saw such things happen. Perhaps there's positive discrimination in government roles, I wouldn't know as I've only ever worked in the private sector.

It's equally possible that a person's age, gender and racial background has absolutely nothing to do with their rejection, but that's a harder pill to swallow for the candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
        Interesting claim, do you have any non-anecdotal evidence for this?

My experience differs - I'm a white, middle-aged male and, to my knowledge, have never been discriminated against, nor have I ever worked for a company where I saw such things happen. Perhaps there's positive discrimination in government roles, I wouldn't know as I've only ever worked in the private sector.

It's equally possible that a person's age, gender and racial background has absolutely nothing to do with their rejection, but that's a harder pill to swallow for the candidate.
        It's everywhere
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...k-66060490.amp
        https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/b...s-b941600.html

I could find dozens that are published. The same ethos applies in a lot of companies as well.

Comment

It's everywhere

I could find dozens that are published. The same ethos applies in a lot of companies as well.
          I can only speak from my experience of being a 50 year old straight (although never having been quizzed on my sexuality that isn't really relevant) white guy who has never tried to be a fighter pilot or, to quote The Clash, make tea at the BBC and have largely been in the private sector.

If I have ever faced discrimination in my career it is through not having the right contacts and, recently, being too old. That isn't to say I haven't had fairly major cultural clashes with some of the Indian consultancies I have been forced to work with who exist to take what they can off you then replace them with one of their consultants but that was the same when I worked 'with' largely white Accenture 20 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, there was a period 10-15 years ago when too many work permits were issued to Indians on the grounds of skills shortages - which were actually skills shortages willing to work on the cheap - who now have the right to remain but I can't help think it is too easy to blame personal failings or lack of success on other people when in fact it is a market shift.

Comment

It's everywhere...

Funny how that headline has been debunked many times, but I doubt you got that far. A separate organisation, called "Creative Access" was one of the places advertising a role, not the BBC.
            If you do a bit of research, you'll find that "Creative Access" are effectively a recruitment agency.

You're posting the sort of suff that we normally get from Fraidy, when he's not banned.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's everywhere

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Funny how that headline has been debunked many times, but I doubt you got that far. A separate organisation, called "Creative Access" was one of the places advertising a role, not the BBC.
                If you do a bit of research, you'll find that "Creative Access" are effectively a recruitment agency.

You're posting the sort of suff that we normally get from Fraidy, when he's not banned.
                You seem to have an agenda that doesn’t agree with this. You have also omitted the RAF article. It seems like you would like to close the argument by banning views you don't agree with.

Comment

You seem to have an agenda that doesn’t agree with this. You have also omitted the RAF article. It seems like you would like to close the argument by banning views you don't agree with.
                  I omitted the RAF article, because I had information regarding the other one. If I had included the RAF article, you would have replied with "why did you include the RAF article".

As for banning, it wasn't for his views, but for the content of one of his posts in the professional section of the forum, as was clearly stated in the PM sent.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Talked to a recruiter today about the state of the .market and he was equally perplexed of the given situation.

He came back with the fact that he was running out of excuses since last Oct.

1. Half term
                    2. Christmas
                    3. New year
                    4. New Financial year
                    5. Summer

​​​​All of these would end and the market would bounce back. However currently 12mths in and I have not seen any upswing at all.
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
                      Talked to a recruiter today about the state of the .market and he was equally perplexed of the given situation.

He came back with the fact that he was running out of excuses since last Oct.

1. Half term
                      2. Christmas
                      3. New year
                      4. New Financial year
                      5. Summer

​​​​All of these would end and the market would bounce back. However currently 12mths in and I have not seen any upswing at all.
                      ​​​​​​
                      Always was the case that the Summer school holidays and Christmas were quiet but you used to get a bounce in October, New Year and financial New Year. They don't seem to happen anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X