• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

There is 1:1 correlation between UK GDP and contractor market

Market was humming along nicely between 2010 and 2020.

Then another boom off the covid lows:

Then flatline as soon as the BOE starts to raise rates in December 2021..

This chart is a year old, but the flat line continues on for another year after:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ONS-data-showing-UK-GDP-2007-to-present.png?ssl=1.png
Views:	688
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	4291316
    There’s definitely a correlation between the domestic economy and the general job market, no doubt. Not just in the UK, but everywhere.

What I meant is that these tiny movements in GDP are fairly immaterial and that there is a more severe job recession in the white collar market.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post

Just curious, what did these kind of roles use to pay, say 10 years ago?
      £150 FTC was approximately the lowest i saw one benched contractor taking in the slump of 2003. And that was thought to be very low at the time.
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 12 June 2024, 16:59.

Comment

£150 FTC was approximately the lowest I saw one benched contractor taking in the slump of 2003. And that was thought to be very low at the time.
        2003 was a bad period for testers. I did a role for £192 per day. It was very low and people laughed at the time. But I had no warchest so did it for 9 months or so. It turned out to be a good decision as it kept me going through that bad spell. While I heard of several people having to sell their houses.

Comment

Some good news, inflation in the US came in a little bit better than expected today. Rate cut now expected in the US in September. And in August by the BOE.

Comment

Finally got an outside role nearly after 6-7 months on the bench. Although LI & JS are dead, this one came through LI. I think this could be an indication that market is slowly recovering.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
              Finally got an outside role nearly after 6-7 months on the bench. Although LI & JS are dead, this one came through LI. I think this could be an indication that market is slowly recovering.
              Congratulations. I know only too well what lengthy spells on the bench can do to you!

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

2003 was a bad period for testers. I did a role for £192 per day. It was very low and people laughed at the time. But I had no warchest so did it for 9 months or so. It turned out to be a good decision as it kept me going through that bad spell. While I heard of several people having to sell their houses.
                I was still permanent at the time but I think there was something of a backlash after the Millennium Bug proved to be something of a damp squib.

Comment

£150 FTC was approximately the lowest i saw one benched contractor taking in the slump of 2003. And that was thought to be very low at the time.
                  I bottomed out at £150 a day outside IR35 round about the time of the financial crash. Only contract I have ever served notice on as there was a very real threat of me asking the Test Manager to join me in the car park.

Oddly my rates as a Tester have been as good as ever over the last 12 months, although I have been out for a week now and it is very quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                    Congrats, very happy for you.

If you don’t mind me asking, over the 6 month period that you were looking for a new contract, did you have particular requirements (eg: outside only, specific profile, etc.) re the contracts you would consider or were you fairly flexible?

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post

Congrats, very happy for you.

If you don’t mind me asking, over the 6 month period that you were looking for a new contract, did you have particular requirements (eg: outside only, specific profile, etc.) re the contracts you would consider or were you fairly flexible?
                      Not at all. Over the period of 6 months I was open to all sorts including perm roles, low salary, inside roles, part-time jobs etc. Primarily because I had a long gap in 2023 as well. I was surviving with my savings and I still can do for the next couple of years as well. However, this gap pushed me to a point where I was feeling low, desperate, useless, confidence dropped to negative and so on. Therefore, I was 100% flexible and had no demand whatsoever. In fact, I would have taken up shelf racking job had super markets offered it.
                      Last edited by BigDataPro; 13 June 2024, 21:30.

Comment

Working...
                      X