• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

main problem remains the massive numbers of Indian nationals who have been allowed into the country completely distorting the jobs market.
    I agree. As a British born indian, born in the 70's. This has also effected me and my family as well other's. We have the same discussions that the influx of 'desi' indian nationals undercutting us is a cause for concern and admit we also are not happy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Lots of people have the talent to do a PhD.

That is why there are so many unemployed PhDs out there.
      The PhD skillset is very opposed to the "corporate" skillset for most jobs
      • PhD demands independent research - corporate world is normally working in teams
      • 3+ years for a thesis - corporate world is usually fast paced
      • 3 months work no progress par for course, same in Corporate world and you are out the door
      • Seeking perfection - corporate world is very 80/20 / quick and dirty
      • "Work when you want t"o vs 9 to 5
      Exceptions might be placing like Quant funds e.g. Citadel . Even then they want the analysis quickly and you need to be a borderline genius to get in

Source: did a PhD, working in Banking, have worked on buy side as well. Do I regret it? No. Made some good friends and good Uni brand name.
      Have I had to learn "Corporate" skills on the job - yes

Comment

Originally posted by umeshk View Post

I agree. As a British born indian, born in the 70's. This has also affected me and my family as well other's. We have the same discussions that the influx of 'desi' indian nationals undercutting us is a cause for concern and admit we also are not happy about it.
        Hallelujah ! another person saying how it is ….I have said the same thing but got told basically it’s a). not true and b). it’s racist to give the facts …be aware though as you’ll shortly get told that you are the problem by speaking the truth and failing to plan …

Comment

I’m a senior BA with 18 years of experience. Did a long stretch of contracting and somehow ended up in my first permie role in a long time and it

Comment

Fgs internet connection not working.

I was saying I ended up in a permie role for 9 years and recently ended up redundant as the bank sent my job to India .. a senior ba role. Good luck to them… !!

I’m not having much luck finding suitable jobs but came across a corker of a BA spec. £17-18 per hour as a BA for a consulting firm. I think I’ll head down to Tesco and stack shelves!

Comment

Originally posted by Artois View Post
              Fgs internet connection not working.

I was saying I ended up in a permie role for 9 years and recently ended up redundant as the bank sent my job to India .. a senior ba role. Good luck to them… !!

I’m not having much luck finding suitable jobs but came across a corker of a BA spec. £17-18 per hour as a BA for a consulting firm. I think I’ll head down to Tesco and stack shelves!
              Consulting firms grad roles normally pay about 40k
              They make you work 60 hours a week
              3333 pcm / (60*4.5) hours
              12.34 quid per hour! Before tax.
              it's an awful job.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Artois.

Yep Tesco paying £13 an hour plus you get staff staff discount on your shopping…and no stress/hassle …

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

This isn't offshoring which, I agree with others, we can do little about. This is onshoring, where temporary migrant workers can afford to significantly undercut resident workers due to the short term nature of their stay in the country. We definitely can do something about that by not issuing visas unless the relevant skills can't be found in the resident population at a genuine prevailing local market rate and by being far more stringent on checking all aspects of the worker's skills, how they're engaged, paid, taxed etc., and policing how companies try to find the skills they need from the resident workforce. But that doesn't benefit large corporates or political party donations, so political will is weak and it's never really happened.

I have absolutely no problem with people who've come here completely legally and chosen to make our country their home; they'll bring their skills, new ideas, new blood, raise families, pay taxes and hopefully help our economy thrive. As I mentioned before, the only issue is how many citizens can the UK reasonably accommodate?
                  I didn't say immigration was offshoring, I just gave my thoughts on them in the same section.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
                    Sorry to hear that Artois.

Yep Tesco paying £13 an hour plus you get staff staff discount on your shopping…and no stress/hassle …
                    As I mentioned before, those Tesco jobs aren't easy to get because everyone assumes they can walk into one. Also I'd challenge the no stress/hassle claim. Tesco expect everyone to do multiple jobs - they don't employ pure shelf stackers and you will be required to be hassled by customers and bosses a lot.
                    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 22 May 2024, 09:57.

Comment

Inflation down to 2.3%, come on lads, start hiring...

Comment

Working...
                      X