• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing Ltd Company Name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Ltd Company Name

Hello,

A few years ago I registered a LTD company for my contracting. I found a really good name for my company, but unfortunately it was already taken, however the .com was available and I really liked the name so I registered the name but using the word digital in it, so instead of A Company LTD, I registered A company digital LTD. I also registered the trademark as well (The original name, not the name with the digital in it)

I just looked at companies house and the name a company LTD is now dissolved. Just a few questions. Im not too bothered by having the word digital in the name but I really would like just A Company LTD.
    • Can I transfer my business into this name?
    • is it wise to do this?
    • Is it going to be a pain in the back side changing everything like VAT, Contracts, HRMC etc?

I would be interested in speaking to anyone that has done this previously, and what pain points you experienced.

What's the reputational history of that company? Do you want years of apologising on somebody else's behalf and eventually snapping at a potential client?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It looks like they never traded. They never filed any results, it just looks like it was registered but never actually traded.

Comment

Have you registered the domain name yet?

Before starting to think about changing your company details, get the .com, otherwise you might go through the whole process and end up with the company but not the domain.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Lucky i've had the .com for a while now. The .co.uk. has been taken for years, but strangely enough the .com became available.

Comment

Actually changing the Co. name is simple. Just a form for Companies House. You should advise all interested parties that the name has changed but your company number and vat number will remain the same.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              Actually changing the Co. name is simple. Just a form for Companies House. You should advise all interested parties that the name has changed but your company number and vat number will remain the same.
              Yup, I've done it and has you say, it's an extremely simple process. With regards to the company's trading history, I'd say that works in the OP's favour. Once a company is dissolved you're free to use their name, so I'd say go for it. Can't remember how much it cost to change the name - £30? Something like that?

If OP is using his LtdCo as more than just a tax vehicle, i.e. he wants to create a proper business, then it makes sense to do it IMO - especially since it will match his registered trademark.

Comment

Working...
              X