• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this agency having me on.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Having met you I don't doubt that for one minute lol...
    It was a lot easier to apply your principles when I started though. There were more contracts than contractors. Freelance Informer, faxing CV's, jumpers for goalposts etc. I don't envy anyone who started since about 2008.

Oh, and to the O/P.....as NLUK would say, you're a business now. Make a business decision. If you want the job, jump through the hoops the agency place in front of you, if you're not that fussed, tell 'em to do one. They may cave in to your demands, they may not. Make your decision and don't cry about the outcome, either way.
    Last edited by TestMangler; 22 April 2016, 09:25.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Sounds pretty stupid on both sides.

Unless it is an onerous amount of time to do it, what's the problem? They've even acknowledged this possibility by giving you an option to do it via Skype to make it easy.

Comment

Im betting its an agency incompetence thing. Would I do it? Yes if it wasnt too much hassle.

Its like the ID thing before you start a gig. Got to see you face to face etc. I've never been forced to do face to face because its always been awkward. If its local and I'm not finishing off last gig then no issues, if its 200 miles, whole day then nope. But then I know that most agencies will make an exception if you say nope.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

A skype call sounds convenient otherwise you have to go into the office.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I've conducted a Skype call for my current contract. The client is a high profile Public Sector, they wanted verification that I was who I said I was in my Passport, took literally 3mins of my time, 1 min was spent resetting my Skype password.

Comment

I got faffed about by Hays but what the hell it is only time and the resultant gig has proven worth it.

Them - come to the Wrexham office to confirm ID and sign client confidentiality agreement.
              Me - arrive find the place is locked up.
              Ring Ring
              Them - Oh sorry did we say Wrexham we meant Chester...
              Grr.
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                I got faffed about by Hays but what the hell it is only time and the resultant gig has proven worth it.

Them - come to the Wrexham office to confirm ID and sign client confidentiality agreement.
                Me - arrive find the place is locked up.
                Ring Ring
                Them - Oh sorry did we say Wrexham we meant Chester...
                Grr.
                What you do then? Surely not drive to Chester.

I had similar with Hays. Come to the office at 3pm. No - Im still finishing previous gig 70 miles away not possible. I'll come at 7pm. OK dont worry just fax it to us.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Yep I drove to Chester, it isn't that much further plus we were going Xmas shopping there for the day anyway.
                  I was more miffed that I wasted some of my time stopping off in Wrexham on the way because of some brain dead pimpette who had no idea which office she was in.

Wrexham shopping wise in no way compares to Chester according to swmbo!

Thinks........is pimpette the femine of pimp?
                  So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Working...
                  X