• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency prank calls?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wogewwabbit View Post
    It's nothing like that. They also know my email address, as at the same time they can send me fake roles to collect my updated CV, just to update their database.
    I've had a chat with a honest recruiter the other day, he told me that I should start the naturalisation process asap to become a British citizen. Having lived in the UK for 10+ years, working in the top tech industry, suddenly this started to matter more than my experience. Of course this may well just be a speculation. He didn't go into details why, but he definitely thought that this would be a good idea. Unfortunately that process takes months even if I started now, and I can't afford being unemployed for that long.

There is such a thing?

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post

There is such a thing?
      No there isn't and the recruiter is talking cr*p.

As long as you have a legal right to work in this country then it doesn't matter what passport you have.

It only matters if you are going for security cleared jobs where you have to be a British national with 5 years residence.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
        Aw Come on! You have been here 10+years and never started the naturalisation process? It has mattered more and more each year you have been here and should have been a priority for you if you want to make a life in UK/Europe. If you are still allowed to work here why would processing naturalisation suddenly become an obstacle?
        I am an EU citizen. From Eastern-Europe. I have every right to work in this country - some here might argue with that if you are nationalist, but hey. I'm still in top tech, not in hotel cleaning. I did my masters degree abroad and brought my skills here, look at it this way. (F...ng hell, I am not going to apologise for who I am as if I was arguing with commenters under a daily mail article.)

British citizenship is only an issue in the light of Brexit. From 2004 to 2012 I was not experiencing any discrimination, I had zero problems. From 2012 on I started to experience bullying, and all sorts of crap, like permies constantly thinking that e.g. I'm lying about my career (it's quite impressive actually, I always tried to work for the biggest names, etc.), or other stuff. They continuously treat me as if I've just arrived from Kazakhstan. (Jaghshemash, izz nicee, I like. Wow you have a rolex, you must be a king of England! )
        Last edited by wogewwabbit; 29 March 2016, 20:33.

Comment

I am an EU citizen.
          You can apply for BC then and keep your other EU citizenship too even if it might be one of those that doesn't (normally) allow dual citizenship, like Germany and the Netherlands.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            You can apply for BC then and keep your other EU citizenship too even if it might be one of those that doesn't (normally) allow dual citizenship, like Germany and the Netherlands.
            I know that. It's just a matter of time. No issue there. I'm allowed to have dual citizenship.

Comment

I know that. It's just a matter of time. No issue there. I'm allowed to have dual citizenship.
              So why didn't you tell the agent asking about your right to work in the UK they where talking tulip?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                So why didn't you tell the agent asking about your right to work in the UK they where talking tulip?
                Perhaps it's a DV job or something?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It doesn't matter if I think it's tulip, if some recruitment agencies decide to ignore Eastern-European candidates. It doesn't matter what I tell them, if they don't call me back. Of course it's just a speculation, but since one agent even confirmed this, I can't ignore this possibility. Also I've got kinda paranoid after 4 months of not getting anywhere.
                  Another thing: some agencies are constantly bombarding me with contracts that are outside of the UK. These are well-known UK agencies, they never send me a UK contract role.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Perhaps it's a DV job or something?
                    Then they could just say that. Why would they lie if they have a legitimate reason not to put me forward? Actually it happened twice already. I could pass an SC vetting but they needed an existing clearance.
                    Last edited by wogewwabbit; 29 March 2016, 21:01.

Comment

Sorry there are not enough facts and too much emotion to provide meaningful advice that might be listened to.

Also, is it just me who finds it interesting that a non-British person is blocking calls from recruiters with Indian accents because they sound foreign?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X