• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone still looking at buy to let?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the avg age of the folks posting in here?

Everybody seems to own at least 2 properties: 1 to live in and a btl....

I must be doing something totally wrong

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post

I'm a house sharer in London. The contract thing is the only reason that owning anything is becoming a realistic prospect. Looking at £450k flats in disrepair at the moment
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Save your money, property is only going one way

Down

And 450k for flats in disrepair is laughable

Comment

I'm selling my BTL portfolio - one each year to max the Cap Gains - last one going shortly once i have negotiated a lease extension with the rip-off freeholder.

I've done well out of BTL but I made a decision to cash in the chips (and I've still got 20 years before usual retirement age)

My reasons:

- Tory government (if you can call it that) sees BTL as an area rich for HMRC to plunder
          - Cant be ar**d managing tenants any more
          - Can never call the top of the market but in Watford where I had most of my flats the markets gone bananas with crappy one bedrooms selling for £275-300k

Comment

40, but I have had the B2L in Isleworth since I bought it as a residential place in 2001. Used equity released from that to buy a new place to live in 2006.

As a follow up to my 'what am I missing' post. It turns out that lenders are now looking at rental multipliers to see if they think you can afford a mortgage. Even though the local estate agent reckon my place is worth ~ 600k, I can only borrow £250k against it, so I won't be expanding my B2L empire any time soon......
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              40, but I have had the B2L in Isleworth since I bought it as a residential place in 2001. Used equity released from that to buy a new place to live in 2006.

As a follow up to my 'what am I missing' post. It turns out that lenders are now looking at rental multipliers to see if they think you can afford a mortgage. Even though the local estate agent reckon my place is worth ~ 600k, I can only borrow £250k against it, so I won't be expanding my B2L empire any time soon......
              600k for Isleworth???

The place stinks. Mogden sewage works can be smelled over the whole place.

Shows what cheap money has done to the world.

200k houses with 600k asking prices

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
                600k for Isleworth???

The place stinks. Mogden sewage works can be smelled over the whole place.

Shows what cheap money has done to the world.

200k houses with 600k asking prices
                Depends where it is in Isleworth. Lots of people say "Isleworth" when it's Brentford.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Park Royal, four houses and hotel. Mayfair, the same, plus all the utilities and three of the four railway stations on the board. Bankrupted my daughter when she landed on Park Royal, we don't talk about it despite her being 8 at the time....

Do not pass go, do not collect £200...

I'm always the iron BTW....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Depends where it is in Isleworth. Lots of people say "Isleworth" when it's Brentford.
                    That's worse

St Margarets is better

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Park Royal, four houses and hotel. Mayfair, the same, plus all the utilities and three of the four railway stations on the board. Bankrupted my daughter when she landed on Park Royal, we don't talk about it despite her being 8 at the time....

Do not pass go, do not collect £200...

I'm always the iron BTW....
                      In a cock-er-knee rhyming way?

Comment

Working...
                      X