• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do ??

Hi Guys, what would you do in this scenario (I think I know the answer so please don't slate me)...

So I've been with Client A for 1.5 yrs on £560pd, get another 6 month extension (3rd renewal) 3 weeks later after renewal got my 4 weeks notice (budget cuts and other politics that went on etc)...So spent 3 weeks vigorously looking for roles, don't hear back from agents and manager pulls me in my final week to say they want me to stay till June (extra 4 months to help important delivery)...as a knee jerk reaction I shook his hand and said yes as after 1 week I would be unemployed...still the same rate (didn't bother playing poker with rate as I knew there were budget constraints and I was happy with current rate anyways)...

The role is okay but it's a dry subject and not learning much but I can easily do it.
    I don't have a massive war chest as spent a bob on a new house and furnishing it and paid off all my debts.

Now low and behold got an interview at Client B, went well and rate is £600pd and role more interesting.

I'm confident of getting the role and if i do get the offer what should I do? My thinking is -

1) I could stay where I am and virtually guarantee 4 additional months of pay (if they don't renew beyond current agreement - start job search in summer where market is quiet) therefore will have a better war chest than now (currently £20k saved with potential for extra £40k) OR

2) join Client B on better rate, more interesting role but going into the unknown of whether I will be there for a long period and starting from the beginning.

I'm thinking safe option of 1...but keen to see what guys would do in my situation.

Cheers.....

See the gig through as you've commited to it. It's the professional thing to do and there will be plenty more gigs around when you leave this one. That's how contracting works.

Either way, until you have a contract signed you have nothing so you could put the decision off until you do actually have options and then worry about it.

Only you will know really but if they have managed to justify you during a cut you must be doing something right. I'd be trying the leverage that if I were you and secure more work at a higher rate after this one.

Couple of minor points. You won't be unemployed between gigs. Your company just won't have any income. You are a business now so need to start thinking like one...

And IMO you got your priorities completely wrong with the warchest. Get the warchest first and THEN start spending your money and paying debts off. No good being in a situation where you have no debts (that could have been managed) but can't put food on the table should you get be benched for a period.

There will be plenty that will says go for the higher rate. Screw the client as they gave you notice etc... So I hope you are not looking for a definitive answer lol....
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 February 2016, 23:29.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why not look in to the possibility of getting a sub in for less, pocket the difference and you can still take this new gig?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Daplayer321 View Post
        I shook his hand and said yes.
        I think you have your answer there.

Comment

1.5 years on 560/day and no warchest? you must have a big tax bill coming

Comment

If client B contract lasts longer than 4 months then I would take that.

Sod the professional thing. Look after number 1.

Comment

I agree with NLUK. The difference in rate isn't significant enough to be a factor for me, so the decision is do you take a (pretty much) guaranteed 4 months money versus a completely unknown opportunity that may last much longer, or could end up even shorter than 4 months. I'm a believer that there are always new opportunities around the corner so there's nothing to say you won't find another contract at the end of this 4 month extension anyway.

Putting that aside, the fact you've already agreed to the extension means you should stay - it's being professional and the client will remember that and could lead to future work with them (whether you want it or not, it's always good to have clients who want you back) whereas ditching them now means they probably won't.

Comment

4 months gives you more time to find the next role, and time to save a bit too.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

They were happy to dump you. Soon you will reach your 2 year limit, so no more expenses to claim Other contract is longer and better paid and probably extensions will follow. Conclusion go for the other one.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Soon you will reach your 2 year limit, so no more expenses to claim
                    Not until after this 4 month agreed contract has finished.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X