• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CTC clearance timescales

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTC clearance timescales

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone had any recent experience of the time it takes for CTC clearance to come through?

I've accepted a role for the police which requires this level of clearance before I can start and the agent has indicated it could take 3-4 weeks.

I'm currently on the bench so not invoicing and I've been contacted by a previous client who would like me to do a short 3-4 week contract for them.

I'm thinking I take them both and try to make the timescales fit together, I've read on websites and seen some posts here suggesting CTC clearance can take months so I don't want to be benched for that long if I can help it.

Advice please.

It depends on the organisation, really.

I have heard that it does take that long with the Police. I knew someone for whom it took more than two months from being offered the role to actually sitting at his desk, and apparently this was down to internal processes.

Comment

Have you had clearance before?

CTC and SC are similar in depth of check but they are for different intended purposes.

3-4 weeks sounds right to me if you have been checked before.

If not perhaps a little longer.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

No I haven't had clearance before, I was in a role last year that started to put me through the SC clearance but I didn't stay long enough to get clearance (the role was not as agent described).

Comment

I've been SC cleared before and it took a couple of months - longer to get it transferred between organisations as well.

Comment

I would deffo take the short term gig and then if extended on a weeks notice basis. I dont see t taking 3/4 weeks, I see it taking double that

Comment

My last (and still current) SC took 11 months......

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                It's quicker for anyone not from Bolton AFAIK
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  It's quicker for anyone not from Bolton AFAIK
                  Nah it's cos he's Russian*

It takes 3/4 weeks if your background means you haven't moved around a lot, you are from mainland UK, your parents are from mainland UK, your partner is from mainland UK, you have worked in mainland UK, you have no criminal record including driving convictions, no credit issues and any referees you use return the reference within 5 days. Oh and the person doing the check only has to do a few of them.

*I know he isn't.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Was that when it went online?
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X