• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you move into contracting in my situation? And some advice about consulting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you move into contracting in my situation? And some advice about consulting?

Hi,

I am in a very lucrative market right now where contractors get paid somewhere between £250-£350 a day.

I have IT certifications for the relevant softwares companies demand.

And I also have ton of technical coding knowledge from mentoring people.

However, I lack consulting experience. People with less English language skills can do it and I wonder why I can't.

For me consulting feels like an under pressure job where I have to deliver whatever client asks for and be able to handle whatever issues come my way in a very short period of time.

In reality this is negotiated but I feel very anxious when I think about consulting like this. But I wonder why I feel so nervous because I am one of the most knowledgeable people around.

What's your advice on being able to handle the two things? What should I do?

I am looking for really sound advice so please help

I think you need to MTFU if you want to become a contractor.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Wings View Post
      Hi,

I am in a very lucrative market right now where contractors get paid somewhere between £250-£350 a day.
      Isn't that towards the bottom end of the market?
      Now who do I know that would say this
      Right this is where it goes wrong for me. How do you get knowledge from mentoring people? You get knowledge from doing the job surely? Is this an English problem or are you barking up the wrong tree.

However, I lack consulting experience. People with less English language skills can do it and I wonder why I can't.
      Sadly this is what the clients expect and pay for. Highly skilled and experienced consultants. Not someone wanting to learn or think they can do it. Get on site and they find out you can't do it they will turn you straight back round and out the door.

For me consulting feels like an under pressure job where I have to deliver whatever client asks for and be able to handle whatever issues come my way in a very short period of time.
      That just about nails it I think.
      In reality this is negotiated but I feel very anxious when I think about consulting like this. But I wonder why I feel so nervous because I am one of the most knowledgeable people around.
      Knowledge in one area does not necessarily mean that you are able to consult does it? I think the devil is in the details here.

Now I don't want to be rude but if this is evidence of how you communicate with clients you are on a wish and a prayer for a start.

The rest of it... No idea.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 2 February 2016, 00:07.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That rate doesn't look so lucrative when you're out of work for six months.

You can - if you have relevant experience that someone will pay for. Certification counts for next to nothing, unless it's something that is rarer to get. For example, any idiot can get an Oracle Certified Associate () but not quite everyone can get an Oracle Certified Expert () or Oracle Certified Master which require in-depth knowledge and (usually) hands on training and experience.

Mentoring people is great - because you must have been in a job where that was required, and you can show off how you have mentored, developed, corrected, put processes in place, reviewed etc. etc.

There seems to be a conflict of confidence here - if you're one of the most knowledgeable people around, then why would you be nervous about having to deliver something that the client asks for? Either you're not one of the most knowledgeable people around, or you haven't delivered in that kind of environment. If you can't do what the client needs, you aren't going to last long.

I've worked with some top guys from Oracle - and they didn't suffer from a lack of confidence. Because confidence comes from knowledge and experience.

If you're nervous about being able to deliver, then contracting isn't for you. Find something safe to do instead.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Isn't that towards the bottom end of the market?

Now who do I know that would say this

Right this is where it goes wrong for me. How do you get knowledge from mentoring people? You get knowledge from doing the job surely? Is this an English problem or are you barking up the wrong tree.

Sadly this is what the clients expect and pay for. Highly skilled and experienced consultants. Not someone wanting to learn or think they can do it. Get on site and they find out you can't do it they will turn you straight back round and out the door.

That just about nails it I think.

Knowledge in one area does not necessarily you are able to consult does it? I think the devil is in the details here.

Now I don't want to be rude but if this is evidence of how you communicate with clients you are on a wish and a prayer for a start.

The rest of it... No idea.
          Love these post NLUK, don't you?

as for op - nobody can give you advice, ask few agents if they feel you would get a gig, but thats not the greatest time to jump the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
            Love these post NLUK, don't you?
            Damn straight I do.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you're asking total strangers or even yourself if you should go into contracting then you probably shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Damn straight I do.
                Could imagine you as Col. Nathan Jessop tbh
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hi,

Dunno about that. Pretty much bottom end this is.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    I think you need to MTFU if you want to become a contractor.
                    Half-time score:

NLUK: 0
                    PurpleGorilla: 1

nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X