• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sub Contracting a Indefinite Remain to Leave & tax implications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub Contracting a Indefinite Remain to Leave & tax implications

Hi,

I am considering taking on a indian passport holder with a iLR. However I'd like to know what process I would have to follow if I hired through my ltd company.

The situation is they are currently working in the uk for over 18months for another company who have offered 70% retention which includes they pay tax/ni & bonuses (lead to believe).

Conditions
    1. The basic gross salary needed to meet immigration requirements is £36k p/a.
    2. Transfer the sponsorship to my ltd company.

I'm basically offering this person a opportunity to work under my limited company to increase there retention to 75% paying them a monthly salary & bonuses if feasible.

Can this work & what are the implications ?

I'm asking this as my accountants aren't very clear.

visa-candidate contract
    300p/day.

Thank you all in advance.

Originally posted by Singhltd View Post
    I'm asking this as my accountants aren't very clear.
    That is probably because they don't want to touch this with a barge pole and are not completely sure about your true intentions and don't want to get caught up in the fall out when it gets found out.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If they already have ILR, you shouldn't be worrying about the salary/income. It is (if the laws haven't changed yet) before/journey to ILR that they need to show employment etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mdhd View Post
        If they already have ILR, you shouldn't be worrying about the salary/income. It is (if the laws haven't changed yet) before/journey to ILR that they need to show employment etc.
        Second that. There are no immigration requirements (except a clean criminal record) once you have ILR.

So in other words you can hire this person in the exact same way you would hire a British citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That is probably because they don't want to touch this with a barge pole and are not completely sure about your true intentions and don't want to get caught up in the fall out when it gets found out.
          Rubbish! There is nothing illegal about hiring ILR holders, so nothing to get "caught out" with!
          Posting a question to accountants about this possibly was a bad choice though!

ILR holders have full rights to work and live in the UK.
          At my client site, there are many Japanese ILR holders who work here. No issues with that.

@OP: Generally speaking, the moment anybody mentions the word "Indian", you will see that the replies may unfortunately get a bit skewed with hate and most will end up talking about getting caught out on illegal act etc.

If you just mentioned ILR in general without mentioning Indian, etc, you may get better replies IMO.
          Last edited by Milkyway; 22 January 2016, 13:53.

Comment

ILR is fine, it's permanent residency for UK. Bear in mind if you need the person to work abroad etc, that person will visas in accordance with their Indian Nationality.

There are no income level requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
              Rubbish! There is nothing illegal about hiring ILR holders, so nothing to get "caught out" with!
              @OP: Generally speaking, the moment anybody mentions the word "Indian", you will see that the replies may unfortunately get a bit skewed with hate and most will end up talking about getting caught out on illegal act etc.

If you just mentioned ILR in general without mentioning Indian, etc, you may get better replies IMO.
              The OP said "The basic gross salary needed to meet immigration requirements is £36k p/a." I think from this it's reasonable to infer that what is proposed is a mechanism for getting round immigration rules. (Even if it turns out that there was actually no need to do that).

I find the accusations of racism to be quite offensive. If you think someone has made a racist post, then please notify the moderators and we'll investigate. Otherwise feel free to keep such thoughts to yourself.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                The OP said "The basic gross salary needed to meet immigration requirements is £36k p/a." I think from this it's reasonable to infer that what is proposed is a mechanism for getting round immigration rules. (Even if it turns out that there was actually no need to do that).
                A person with ILR is free of UK immigration control.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
                  Posting a question to accountants about this possibly was a bad choice though!

ILR holders have full rights to work and live in the UK.
                  At my client site, there are many Japanese ILR holders who work here. No issues with that.

Comment

Thank for your replies and advice

Thats good news so far.

So the only thing i am left wondering about is if i need to transfer the sponsorship to my ltd company, would there be fees to pay & how much this could cost would be helpful ?

Comment

Working...
                    X