• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working From Home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    You think we work?

I have answered this before, ex-contractor on a large recruitment drive of contract resources. Logical place to hang out while listening to conference calls on mute.

The real question is why are all the contractors pissing around on CUK during invoicing hours?
    I'm thinking...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

As a CIO I completely disagree with you on control. A manager's first objective is to establish trust & respect from his team.
      Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      As a CEO I completely disagree with you.
      As a level 10 Assassin on Assassin's Creed Syndicate, I completely disagree with the pair of you.

Besides, I also get to WFH and have had similar issues with changes in management. The new IT director is a complete arse but when he came in I made sure I 'sold' my knowledge, experience and worth to him and this was backed up by permie staff by word of mouth and by emails. I came in pretty much every day for a couple of months and now I'm back working at home a couple of days a week.

WFH is also written into my contract, but I see no need to go there if you are capable of having an honest and open discussion with the IT director.

It helps that I am critical to the client right now, but it doesn't help that I am the most expensive contractor they have - and at this price, visibility is often key. Ultimately, the client will get rid of us when it suits them, and usually this is based on their requirements rather than on a part-WFH agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        As a level 10 Assassin on Assassin's Creed Syndicate, I completely disagree with the pair of you.

Besides, I also get to WFH and have had similar issues with changes in management. The new IT director is a complete arse but when he came in I made sure I 'sold' my knowledge, experience and worth to him and this was backed up by permie staff by word of mouth and by emails. I came in pretty much every day for a couple of months and now I'm back working at home a couple of days a week.

WFH is also written into my contract, but I see no need to go there if you are capable of having an honest and open discussion with the IT director.

It helps that I am critical to the client right now, but it doesn't help that I am the most expensive contractor they have - and at this price, visibility is often key. Ultimately, the client will get rid of us when it suits them, and usually this is based on their requirements rather than on a part-WFH agreement.
        I think the argument to show up, establish a relationship with your manager, and position your self to be able to work from home again is valid. A couple of months is a bit much though; Maybe a couple of weeks.

We are talking about a manager here, going over his head to a director is not a wise move.

Comment

You think we work?

I have answered this before, ex-contractor on a large recruitment drive of contract resources. Logical place to hang out while listening to conference calls on mute.

The real question is why are all the contractors pissing around on CUK during invoicing hours?
          WFH

Comment

Maybe we are all sat waiting for the cogs of permidom to gather momentum and catch up.

I, also, participate in large conference calls, on mute, that will never provide any tangible business value.

CUK keeps my hands busy and gives me something to concentrate on, rather than get further involved in the call, possibly leading to tearing someone a new one.

Damage limitation
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The runway is clear, prepared for take-off...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Maybe we are all sat waiting for the cogs of permidom to gather momentum and catch up.

I, also, participate in large conference calls, on mute, that will never provide any tangible business value.

CUK keeps my hands busy and gives me something to concentrate on, rather than get further involved in the call, possibly leading to tearing someone a new one.

Damage limitation
                Conference calls are indeed unavoidable and never provide value. One of the perks of this role is that people think twice before cc'ing me on emails which is very nice.

If you think CUK bad check out this thread of UK middle management up to CEOs whittering on and taking photos about what is on the menu of at the T5 CCR

In fact the entire British Airways Executive Club forum on Flyertalk is full of exactly the sort of people I would not want to sit next to on a plane.

Comment

Fook me, absolutely riveting stuff

Ah ok. Anything you recommend? I was thinking lobster then turkey
                  Really like the bisque indeed. I had the rack of lamb which I liked (I remember another poster saying he didn't) maybe because I asked it medium rare to rare (which ensured it was medium rare!)
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Well as level 80 undead mage all I can say is 'For the Horde!!! '
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Well as level 80 undead mage all I can say is 'For the Horde!!! '
                      Showoff
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X