• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Photo on your CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always send this:

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Anything more than 10 years ago is pretty irrelevant. If the company was a household name, then name them with 1 line about the job, and just put the year in.
      For your more recent work, cut out all the guff and just put the key point of each role. Yes 1 key point.

And don't be like the person who sent me his CV to review and it was 14 pages long. I told him to cut it down to 2, so he did. But then included a 17 page cover letter.

No cover letter.
      An introductory paragraph about you - 5 or 6 lines. The next 1.5 pages is a potted history of your work and the bottom of page 2 is personal info - hobbies/interests that are NOT related to your work. e.g. if you are a rocket scientist and applying for a job at the JPL, don't list your hobbies as building rockets at home and running the world's biggest rocket science forum.
      Haha, no, I've been a hiring manager and I know what you mean: after page 3 my eyes glaze over - especially when there's a series of less than one-year positions with the full treatment.

@diseasex: I like it, just tell them Face-Off was a biography!

Comment

@diseasex: I like it, just tell them Face-Off was a biography![/QUOTE]

based on your life

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
          Haha, no, I've been a hiring manager and I know what you mean: after page 3 my eyes glaze over - especially when there's a series of less than one-year positions with the full treatment.

@diseasex: I like it, just tell them Face-Off was a biography!
          Wouldn't a decent hiring manager know if the candidate is worth seeing before page 3?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is an interesting topic to me as I have decided to concentrate on the Swiss market (because I want to stay living in Switzerland) and I am booked in to have a professional set of photos taken of me tomorrow.

I think this is the norm in Switzerland and Germany. Though I do have one concern in that there are quite a few international companies in Zurich that I would consider applying for, not sure how their international HR department will react to a CV with a photo (obviously I realise it is a compete no no in the UK and US).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Wouldn't a decent hiring manager know if the candidate is worth seeing before page 3?
              Well, I was usually looking for inconsistencies/BS to crop up, but yeah, not normally reading after that unless there's entertainment value.

Comment

Well, I was usually looking for inconsistencies/BS to crop up, but yeah, not normally reading after that unless there's entertainment value.
                Poor English, spelling mistakes, poor formatting usually "feature" in many CV's I have looked at.
                Downright lies, exaggeration and suggestion of skills the applicant, does not have, feature both on these and many others.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'll interview anyone who claims to be an expert after six months of working with a given tool. There's no chance they're an expert, I just want to watch them squirm.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I'll interview anyone who claims to be an expert after six months of working with a given tool. There's no chance they're an expert, I just want to watch them squirm.
                    You cruel, cruel man. I had a penchant for presenting a scenario I had to troubleshoot with the stated purpose of wanting to know how they'd try to determine cause and observe the applicant's thought process and approach to problem solving. The number of times I had people just guessing what the problem was like they were on Jeopardy even after being told I didn't care about the answer being correct...

Comment

You cruel, cruel man. I had a penchant for presenting a scenario I had to troubleshoot with the stated purpose of wanting to know how they'd try to determine cause and observe the applicant's thought process and approach to problem solving. The number of times I had people just guessing what the problem was like they were on Jeopardy even after being told I didn't care about the answer being correct...
                      Flattery will get you nowhere. g

Seriously, I've seen CVs where the candidate is a self-proclaimed expert, having worked with something for six months as part of a project where they did several other things as well. Come in for interview, I'll decide how close to expert level you are mwuahahaha
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X