• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for contract work with different mgrs/departments at current client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for contract work with different mgrs/departments at current client

I have been at my current client for 2+ years, in a single department/line manager. Have got to professionally know a fair few people (who could be potential sources of future work) in different departments.

Coming towards a natural end to my work here.

What do people here feel about actively approaching other people for work opportunities within their departments, and letting them know about my availability? Do you do this at your client co?

Thanks.

Originally posted by theroyale View Post

What do people here feel about actively approaching other people for work opportunities within their departments, and letting them know about my availability? Do you do this at your client co?

Thanks.
    I have done, a few times, it worked.
    Provided a couple of years work, spread out in total, so well worth it.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What do people here feel about actively approaching other people for work opportunities within their departments, and letting them know about my availability?
      You mean building on your existing contacts and reputation to sell your services?

No, terrible idea.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Did it. Ended up with multiple concurrent contracts in different departments in the company. Still there ten years later. Two main contracts, the rest come and go.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

CSC told me off for doing that. 'Using their contacts to solicit work'.

Completely forgetting I'd worked there 3 years before we'd been outsourced to CSC and they were my contacts well before.

When I left they sent me a letter saying I'd never work through or for CSC again, obvs I wasn't particularly heartbroken. Ironically shortly after I was approached for a role by CSC, told them no thanks, you're on my blacklist...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            CSC told me off for doing that. 'Using their contacts to solicit work'.
            Slave drivers, allegedly
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Did think it was ok in theory. In practice do you just bring it up directly? ("Know of any contracting opportunities for projects in your department? I'm available if there are") Maybe I have been finding it tricky because I have been beating around the bush about being direct.

Comment

Off on Monday, 'ave you got any more work that needs doing, governor?
                Usually works for me
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Thanks.
                  Where yes it's an option I think it has to be done smartly. Just wandering round like a lost sheep walking up to people looking from work could have an adverse affect. At least try and do some digging and find out if the person you plan on talking to has the authority to recruit, the area of work needs your skills, what they have coming up that you can add value. There is a difference between walking round looking desperate to going round offering to add value. That said there isn't too much downside to the scatter gun approach, just not the best way to do it. Have a business card/CV to hand so if they show any remote interest you can nail it there and then rather than give them a chance to forget you. If you are in a big organisation you won't be the first or last to do it so the response could be a bit frosty.

If you do chat to them and there is a possibility but nothing at the moment don't forget to ask if you can add them to linkedin and keep in touch. Much better than an random invite.

Comment

Working...
                  X