• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange interview request. Is this normal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange interview request. Is this normal?

My limited company have been contacted by an agent regarding a contract in public sector for a face to face interview in five hours driving distance. The client never spoke to me over Skype or phone and refused to do so on my request. They want me to come at certain day and confirmed they will not pay travel expenses. The rate they offer is nothing special.
    Is this a normal practice in public sector or is my company just being invited for statistics/regulations reasons?
    Would you travel there spending two days and couple of hundred quid in those conditions?
    Last edited by Relaxed; 18 December 2015, 11:44.

I wouldn't do it, based on the fact that I don't want to work 5 hours away from home!

But I would also turn down the interview because if you're going to commit to the travel and a specific time, then the least they should do is cover your expenses. I've also known government departments to just perform dummy interviews so as to tick some regulatory boxes, while all the time they have already chosen a person for the job.

Though ultimately I guess it depends how desperate you are for a contract right now, but it doesn't sound like you need that kind of hassle.

Comment

Tell them to poke it!

Comment

If NLUK reads this you are mincemeat.

You are supposed to be in business (unless you are volunteering to be inside ir35).

Why should a potential client pay for you to try and win some work? It is a risk you take. You may waste your time and money. Do you want it or not?

Comment

If you aren't willing to drive down for an interview what are you going to do if you get the gig? Are you prepared to work away from home? Have you thought beyond that?

IMO the best thing to do is forget this one, sit at home and wait for something nice and easy to fall in your lap and leave this one to proper contractors that know what they are doing and willing to attend fully prepared for all outcomes.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nothing unusual about this, you want a job so you have to interview for it, why would they pay you to interview?! Some places do pay expenses for interview but this is very rare, you are a business, sometimes it cost's money to make money!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              If you aren't willing to drive down for an interview what are you going to do if you get the gig? Are you prepared to work away from home? Have you thought beyond that?

IMO the best thing to do is forget this one, sit at home and wait for something nice and easy to fall in your lap and leave this one to proper contractors that know what they are doing and willing to attend fully prepared for all outcomes.
              And here was me thinking you'd go easy during the festive season! (BTW wheres the Dredd pic with the xmas hat?)

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
                My limited company have been contacted
                When did you ever hear of a limited company being given expenses to make a sales call
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  And here was me thinking you'd go easy during the festive season! (BTW wheres the Dredd pic with the xmas hat?)
                  I thought that was the festive reply! Very tame by recent standards.

Comment

If it's 5 hours you can drive there and back on the same day.

Just make sure you make stops for a break both ways.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X