• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

working 100% remotely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I live in the North of England and usually contract in London. I also have a place in Spain where I'd much rather be. It does occur to me that the travel costs and commute to London from either place is comparable but what occurs to me even more is that if I could somehow work remotely from Spain I could lower my rate to be more competitive to what the banks, etc, are paying for their off-shoring to the likes of Eastern Europe. I doubt they'd wear it though. Most are OK with teh odd day WFH but not all week.
    I work with a guy who has a place in Spain, a farm in Scandinavia and a place in north Africa - this week he's working from Scandinavia so he could plant trees and shrubs at the weekend.

As long as we can get in touch with him, that's fine.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I work with a guy who has a place in Spain, a farm in Scandinavia and a place in north Africa - this week he's working from Scandinavia so he could plant trees and shrubs at the weekend.
      That sounds like an impossible dream until you realise you can have all that for the price of a 1-bed terrace in South East England.

It occurs to me that I could do what I'm doing from anywhere on the planet with a decent internet connection, so what the hell am I still doing here? Unfortunately it's only meant to be for 4 months so I have to think about the next job.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        It occurs to me that I could do what I'm doing from anywhere on the planet with a decent internet connection, so what the hell am I still doing here? Unfortunately it's only meant to be for 4 months so I have to think about the next job.
        I sometimes ask myself that question. However, having contracted outside the UK for around 10 years in various places, it's nice to be back Especially if you're going to work from home, you need some sort of community of friends and family, otherwise you'll likely turn to typewriting horror proverbs repeatedly until the paper runs out or the snow melts.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          This thread has made me regret a little not seeking WFH. Some clients where I have delivered and won trust, but eventually left, turning down an extension in order to stop commuting/living in digs. Never thought of angling for WFH. Sort of assumed it would not succeed. Next time...
          Depends on what sort of work you do. I think you do similar to me. In my experience its rare to get WFH.

In fact, current client is the most stubborn ever. I was in hospital beginning of the week, so had a few days recuperating. I was ok for work but travelling was the problem (see my other thread).

They have the facility for WFH but have a no contractor WFH policy. I offered but they said no.

Consequences are that, since I was involved in a critical phase of the project, they've missed a target now which has cost them a lot of money. Could have been avoided if they'd let me WFH and get it sorted. Seems nuts to me....

Its not as if I was asking for regular WFH. Hey ho - apart from that they are a good client.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            I think you do similar to me.
            I don't think anyone sane would do the same as you

HTH.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              I don't think anyone sane would do the same as you

HTH.
              Come on there must be a few of you who offer "happy endings" for a tenner a tug?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Come on there must be a few of you who offer "happy endings" for a tenner a tug?
                I think you have logged on to the wrong site, in error.
                Try Welsh Lady boys UK, instead.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  I think you have logged on to the wrong site, in error.
                  Try Welsh Lady boys UK, instead.
                  He's been banned. The punters were getting fed up with him leaving for another gig without finishing off the job.

Comment

10 years of contracting, I've WFH 5.5 years....

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Beware cabin fever.

As much as the 20 second commute, complete freedom of dress code, lunchtime cuddles with significant other and the like can appeal greatly, the lack of human contact on a day-to-day basis can be a challenge; both in terms of not hearing about things that you'd be expected to hear about in an office environment even two days on site and in terms of general social interaction. It very much depends on the individual and the project imho about what would work.
                      I agree, I've done a couple of 5/6 week long stints WFH and I really found it hard work. My perfect situation is WFH Monday and Friday. I like the buzz of the office and dealing with people face to face, but then I'm quite sociable.
                      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X