• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overpayment from old contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overpayment from old contract

Quick question.

As a contractor, I work with an accountant who sends me monthly wages slips then quarterly the amount we can take out of the company if we want to. I've worked like this since 2002.

I received notification I had a weeks overpayment from an old contract (Dec 2014) in November this year. It was a self billing contract, so we didn't issue invoices. We'd not have been aware of the overpayment, being that it would have been the end of March when we got the amount from the accountant.

Now's the tricky part. We've now crossed a reporting period, so I have paid corp tax on this money and obviously VAT (although I am flat rate) and any income/dividend tax.

They've admitted I filled in my timesheet correctly as zero hours for the week and that this was their mistake, but they're asking for the full amount, which would leave me, effectively, £1k out of pocket. I am not trying it on, nor trying to absolve myself of any obligations, and have gone to them with a preliminary, without prejudice, offer to take into account my losses were I to pay them back in full.

What's the legal position here? I genuinely didn't know I'd been overpaid, am willing to come to a deal where I don't profit from it, but they're saying they want it in full.

I've instructed the accountant to close the company down,a s there's nothing in it currently anyway - Is this too nuclear? I have offered to repay the profit I have made form their mistake, I think that's morally the correct thing to do, but I am reluctant to pay it out in full and take a £1k loss.

I think you know the answer to this on but looking for reassurance you can keep it. The debt is with the company which still exists. All parties admit it's a mistake so the legal situation is you need to pay it back surely.

It's not tricky, you have an accountant so they will know how to handle it.

It's not a loss or being out of pocket. It was never yours to start off with so you've got more money than you should.

IMO instruct your accountant to make it right and pay it back. What would you expect if it was the other way around??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's not tricky, you have an accountant so they will know how to handle it.
      This +1.

Has the accountant advised you, you will make a loss, then, or what?
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If the repayment is genuinely in error then the money needs to be returned. Your accountant would need to reclaim overpaid corporation tax etc. on your behalf.

However, if you incur additional cost in doing this, you should be able to claim this from the company that overpaid you.

Neither party should reasonably be out of pocket, including you.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          If the repayment is genuinely in error then the money needs to be returned. Your accountant would need to reclaim overpaid corporation tax etc. on your behalf.

However, if you incur additional cost in doing this, you should be able to claim this from the company that overpaid you.

Neither party should reasonably be out of pocket, including you.
          Well it's only just happened, so I am awaiting the accountants instructions.

I was completely unaware of the overpayment, and I am losing money, for I have paid corp, VAT and Dividend tax on it. If I repaid them the full amount, I would be out of pocket to the tune of £1k. I don't think it's unreasonable to ensure we both come out of this happily. I am not trying to rob anyone and have made an offer to repay the amount I have profited form it. I, again, don't think it's unreasonable to think I shouldn't wear the costs for a mistake that a) I didn't make and b) I was completely unaware of.

That's the point I was trying to make. I think it's unreasonable for them to expect me to pay all of this twice.

Comment

I'd be interested to know why an overpayment wasn't flagged when you did your year end paperwork. Something like Freeagent or the SJD spreadsheet would have flagged this as soon as your invoices you should be raising for your own paperwork appeared.

Anyway... what are you doing after you've closed this company down? Are you starting another? Shutting one company with a debt to start another up doing the same thing has it's own issues but you cannot use this to avoid a debt. The courts can pierce the corporate veil and hold you personally accountable still I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltyLevels View Post

I was completely unaware of the overpayment, and I am losing money, for I have paid corp, VAT and Dividend tax on it. If I repaid them the full amount, I would be out of pocket to the tune of £1k. I don't think it's unreasonable to ensure we both come out of this happily. I am not trying to rob anyone and have made an offer to repay the amount I have profited form it. I, again, don't think it's unreasonable to think I shouldn't wear the costs for a mistake that a) I didn't make and b) I was completely unaware of.

That's the point I was trying to make. I think it's unreasonable for them to expect me to pay all of this twice.
              Eh? Surely if you've overpaid the taxman you can get that back?????

To be honest, if you've cocked up your accounting that's your problem and the only person that should lose out should be you (or the accountant if you can find they are at fault) but am sure you will be able to get it all back as if it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltyLevels View Post

I was completely unaware of the overpayment, and I am losing money, for I have paid corp, VAT and Dividend tax on it. If I repaid them the full amount, I would be out of pocket to the tune of £1k.
                If you are awaiting your accountants instructions, how do you know you will be out of pocket?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Eh? Surely if you've overpaid the taxman you can get that back?????

To be honest, if you've cocked up your accounting that's your problem and the only person that should lose out should be you (or the accountant if you can find they are at fault) but am sure you will be able to get it all back as if it didn't happen.
                  Eh? Seriously? If I can claim the VAT, Corp and divi tax back, I'd repay. I didn't make the mistake, I think you're missing this. I didn't invoice on the contract either.

It was a mistake on their side; I didn't claim the hours were worked, I didn't invoice incorrectly and wouldn't have known as I only claim down quarterly.

As for shutting a company down with a debt, well it doesn't have a debt at the moment, as no charge has been made.

I tend to shut companies down after 3, 4 years anyway, as it compartmentalises.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    If you are awaiting your accountants instructions, how do you know you will be out of pocket?

As I have paid taxes on the money

Comment

Working...
                    X