• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency tie-in 6Months need advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    This is a joke thread, right ?

Such awful grammar and txt speak! If I was the employer I would not even consider going direct, I would "of" fired him!

Lucky for me i'm not the one trying to get hired as I said before i'm asking for advice for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by benlittle View Post
      Lucky for me i'm not the one trying to get hired as I said before i'm asking for advice for a friend.
      No but you not understanding your contract and handcuffs as well as the odd comment telling us that by being with an umbrella your friend isnt employed by the agent I think you've got a lot of work to properly understand what you do.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is this friend of yours looking to go perm with the client co or carry on contracting with them?

If perm, there may be a standard contract-to-perm fee.

If contracting directly, then there may be a release fee declared. The simple fact is that the agency will lose out on revenue if your friend goes directly as a contractor, therefore they would win a court case, which they'll gladly enter into to recover their main love in life, money.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by benlittle View Post
          lol it not me i already work for my own ltd company

Ok thanks anyway im guessing option 1 the best bet if the client willing to take her ( sorry me) on

if not then talk to the agency to get out the clause or renew the contract , hopefully the agency reasonable people.

I worked for many agencies in the past and this is the first time hearing about this clause but it makes sense why no one been taken on direct kinda sucks

That is really strange. have you never had this in your contract before? It's pretty much standard - the lazy leeches want your money for as long as they can.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Agencies are not reasonable people. They are fraudsters that only care about the money. They will not give up thousands of pounds as a favour.

I'll bet that is because you don't read or understand your contract. I haven't worked for one that hasn't got it.
            Here. FTFY.

Comment

Some clauses only restrict the Ltd or umbrella in this case, and not the individual, check if that's the case here and if so go back via another umbrella or Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                Some clauses only restrict the Ltd or umbrella in this case, and not the individual, check if that's the case here and if so go back via another umbrella or Ltd
                It's not and I'll bet there isnt. The clause is to protect the agents revenue stream. Why would they put clauses in like this that don't???

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  It's not and I'll bet there isnt. The clause is to protect the agents revenue stream. Why would they put clauses in like this that don't???
                  Ffs cos sometimes they ain't as bright as they think they are. One of the big agencies has just such a clause. You seem like a plonker just out to argue with limited experience.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                    Ffs cos sometimes they ain't as bright as they think they are. One of the big agencies has just such a clause. You seem like a plonker just out to argue with limited experience.
                    Technically all handcuffs are on the Ltd as that is who the contract is with, not you as an individual. In many cases the wording will cover the individual but even if it isn't clear there is something called 'piercing the corporate veil' which allows the law to look through the corporate setup and identify the individual underneath. Hiding behind a different LTD or umbrella but the same person attending site still invokes the handcuff.

The whole point of the handcuff is to make sure the agent gets his fair share. Using artificial methods to get out of it will not work. The courts will always favour the party that can prove fair and reasonable loss regardless of the convoluted setups to try bypass it.

And never under estimate the lengths agents will go to to protect their revenue stream. They really can appear to seem clueless when dealing with us but when it comes to protecting their income they will be all over that. Their business is the bottom line so they will have that well covered.

Did you know that or consider that?

Plonker maybe.. Limited experience? Not so sure about that.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 21 November 2015, 18:09.

Comment

NorthernNob,

I'm amazed at your superior knowledge. I've only been doing this for over 30 years. I have only had the contracts of most of the major agencies reviewed as both the contractor and other times the hiring manager. I have seen agencies trying to enforce such clauses, and know the pitfalls. Where agencies are especially knobish and have upset both contractors and end clients, by for instance bribing managers, or themselves breaking strict confidentiality agreements, its pretty reasonable for both the end client and the contractors to tell the agency where to get off, threaten them with breach of contract and other actions, and point on in precise detail why their clauses are not enforceable. But then you know it all already.

Comment

Working...
                      X